In 2013, a shonen anime named “Attack on Titan” aired its first episode. The plot, elements, characters, storyline, and most importantly the animation have made this one of the greatest anime of this generation.
Tall and mindless creatures called “Titans” prey on humans. However, there are nine “Intelligent Titans” as well, and the anime revolves around the attack and retaliation of humans against these titans to survive.
- Colossal Titan is a more destructive force than Armoured Titan, as it can release massive heat and energy that can destroy buildings and kill people.
- Armoured Titan is more resilient and durable than Colossal Titan, as its tough exterior can withstand most forms of attack, while Colossal Titan is more vulnerable to direct attacks.
- Both Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan are feared and respected in Attack on Titan, as they are powerful and formidable opponents that pose a significant threat to the protagonists.
Colossal Titan vs Armoured Titan
The Colossal Titan is a giant humanoid creature that stands at around 60 meters tall. It has the ability to generate intense heat and steam, which it uses as a weapon. The Armored Titan is a titan that is covered in armor-plating. It has exceptional strength and endurance and armor.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Colossal Titan is one of the nine “Intelligent Titans” or “Titan Shifters”. It first appeared in the first episode and first chapter of the manga itself.
The Colossal Titan can emit enormous amounts of energy and gases from its body which makes it difficult for attackers to come close to its body.
Armoured Titan is another intelligent titan which also appeared in the second episode of the anime. Armoured Titan has an ability of super strength and of running at a very fast pace.
The armored shield protects the Titan’s body from attacks but can suffer damages if attacked by advanced devices such as anti-titan artillery.
|Parameters of Comparison||Colossal Titan||Armoured Titan|
|Controlled By||It is currently in the possession of Armin Arlert.||It is currently in the possession of Reiner Braun.|
|First Appearance||It first appeared in the first episode of “Attack on Titan”.||It first appeared in the second episode of “Attack on Titan”.|
|Size||It is more than 60 meters in size.||It is about 15 meters in size.|
|Powers||Its powers include the ability to trample objects in its vicinity and emit high-energy gases from its body.||Its powers include super strength and protection from outside attacks because of its shield-like armor.|
|Drawbacks||Its major disadvantage is its inability to move at a fast pace because of its enormous size.||Its major disadvantage is that its power decreases when the person inside the Titan body is unwell.|
What is Colossal Titan?
Colossal Titan appeared for the first time in the first episode of the anime itself which was called “To You, in 2000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1”.
It was one of the major antagonists of the anime till the third season. This titan created a hole in the outermost wall of the “Paradis Island” known as Wall Maria and let the other titans enter the city.
This led to the ruthless killing and destruction in the city which eventually became the cause of the fall of the Shiganshina District. Historically, it was one of the nine “Intelligent Titans” which emerged and gained powers from the “Founding Titan”.
The main powers of this titan are its enormous size and the ability to trample other things in its vicinity.
It has a height of over 60 meters and also can produce energy and gases from its body so that no soldier can come near it and try to execute it.
Each “Intelligent Titan” can be controlled by “Titan Shifters” which are humans and can transform into Titans by creating a cut on their body.
The Colossal Titan was initially controlled by Bertholdt Hoover, who was a soldier from the Marley empire and was on a mission to destroy Paradis Island.
However, in the 3rd season of the anime, the possession of this Titan went to Armin Arlert. It has one drawback that its large body reduces its speed and ability to react to stimulus substantially.
What is Armoured Titan?
Armoured Titan is another one of the nine “Intelligent Titans” and was introduced in the second episode of the anime known as “To You, in 2000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina , Part 2”.
It was shown to be in the possession of Reiner Braun, who was another Marley’s secret soldier in “Paradis Island”.
This Titan was responsible for creating havoc inside the walls by destroying the houses and buildings within the Wall Maria. It can attack its enemy with a massive impact.
A scale-like armored shield covers its body which provides it protection against attacks.
Its body also can harden. As of now, the possession of the titan is still with Reiner Braun.
However, an intelligent titan can live only 13 years and Reiner is getting old which has forced the Marley authorities to look for other suitable candidates for inheriting those powers.
The powers of the Armoured Titan cannot be utilized to the maximum level if the person controlling the Titan is not well.
Moreover, its ability to run fast and shatter things with momentum decreases substantially when it is fully armored which restrains its movement.
Main Differences Between Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan
- The Colossal Titan was initially controlled by Bertholdt Hoover which was later inherited by Armin Arlert. The Armoured Titan has been in the possession of Reiner Braun.
- The Colossal Titan is marked by its enormous size and has a height of more than 60 meter. The Armoured Titan has a height of around 15 metres.
- The Colossal Titan was introduced in the first episode for the first time. The Armoured Titan was introduced in the second episode for the first time.
- The Colossal Titan has the power to create great destruction in its vicinity because of its enormous size and the hot gases coming out of its body protects it from attackers. The Armoured Titan has the ability of super strength and to harden itself to reduce the damage from attacks.
- The major disadvantage of the Colossal Titan is its inability to move at a fast pace and quickly respond to attacks because of its enormous size. The major disadvantage of the Armoured Titan is the reduction in its power levels if the person inside the Titan is unwell.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.