The difference between Generation Y and Generation Z is that Gen Z grew up with smartphones and social media, so they’re more tech-savvy and more accustomed to instant gratification.
Generation Y, or Millennials, were born between 1980 and 1994. Generation Z is those born between 1995 and 2015.
While there are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends, the generation is considered to consist of people born from the early 1960s up until the 1980s.
- Generation Y (Millennials) were born between 1981 and 1996, while Generation Z was born between 1997 and 2012.
- Millennials came of age during the rise of the internet and social media, while Generation Z has been immersed in digital technology since birth.
- Millennials are more likely to prioritize work-life balance, while Generation Z values job security and financial stability.
Generation Y vs Generation Z
Generation Y refers to people who were born between the early 1980s and the mid-1990s, and who came of age in the late 1990s and early 2000s. This generation grew up in a time of rapid technological change. Generation Z refers to people who were born in the mid-1990s to the early 2010s. This generation grew up in the digital age, and are considered to be even more tech-savvy than their Millennial predecessors.
Generation Y refers to people born sometime between the early 1980s to the mid-1990s to early 2000s. Generation X’s generation before them currently ranges from 37-to 48 years. Millennials are another name for this group of people.
People born between 1997 and 2012 make up the Gen Z generation, known as the iGen or Centennials. This makes them the youngest generation in the workforce today.
While it’s common for older generations to refer to Millennials as being young, many of these same older generations may see Gen Z as being just that: too young to understand what they’re doing or what they want.
This can be frustrating for those in Gen Z looking to be taken seriously at work.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Generation Y is born Between 1981 to 1996.
|Generation Z is born Between 1997 to 2012.
|Even though Generation Y is learning to support, they are still stereotyped in some world areas.
|Generation Z wants to make a difference globally; thus, the mainstream and support everything.
|Financially, some members of Generation Y are struggling.
|From an early age, Generation Z has been financially self-sufficient.
|Generation Y experienced the birth of the internet and other digital technologies, such as social media, and their rise to prominence.
|Technology has always been a part of Generation Z’s upbringing.
|Also known as
|Millennials are also referred to as Generation Y.
|Generation Z is also known as the iGen generation or the Centennials.
What is Generation Y?
Generation Y or Millennials are people born roughly between 1980 and 1995. They are the generation that follows Generation X. This is a generation misunderstood by older generations.
The generation is also known as the Internet or Net Generation because many grew up with a computer in the house and have always been used to having technology close by.
Millennials have been credited with reshaping industries like retail, food, hospitality, and media as they have come of age due to their tech-savviness, desires, and dislikes.
As young people continue to grow older and find themselves in leadership positions, their preferences will likely shape many other industries as well.
Millennials have grown up with the internet, and they answer emails fast and use their phones while watching TV or talking with friends.
Because they grew up with technology, millennials are more likely to be tech-savvy and prefer using text messages, Facebook, and Twitter instead of phone calls or emails.
Millennials tend to spend a significant amount of time on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter and are very comfortable using computers and other new gadgets.
What is Generation Z?
The Gen Z generation comprises people born between 1997 and 2012. They are the first generation to be raised in a world where technology is everywhere, and they were left to their own devices as young children.
The oldest members of this generation are about to enter the workforce and apply for jobs within the next few years. This means that businesses need to start preparing for how they will relate to this new group of employees.
Here are a few things that businesses need to know about Gen Z:
- They have grown up with social media, so they’re more likely to share their opinions online than other generations might be. This could be good or bad for your business, depending on those opinions.
- They aren’t as interested in email as earlier generations expected instant gratification, which means you may want to invest more time in your social media accounts than you previously have.
- They have high expectations for quality customer service because they have been able to compare companies online from an early age, so you’ll want to make sure that your company is putting its best foot forward on all fronts at all times.
- They don’t want a traditional job — instead, they want meaningful work with flexible hours and opportunities for advancement.
Main Differences Between Generation Y and Generation Z
- Generation Y is made up of people born between 1981 and 1996, whereas Generation Z is made up of people born between 1997 and 2012.
- Generation Y witnessed the advent of the internet and other digital technologies like social media and their rise to popularity, whereas Generation Z has grown up with technology.
- In certain parts of the world, even though Generation Y is learning to help, they are still stigmatized. However, Generation Z wants to impact the world positively; thus, they embrace and support everything.
- Generation Y is more open-minded towards religion in general, but Generation Z is primarily atheist and has no distinct viewpoint.
- Some members of Generation Y are struggling financially; however, Generation Z has been financially self-sufficient since childhood.
Last Updated : 24 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.