As the technology around us is evolving and becoming more futuristic, we are seeing a lot of automation of tasks with a few code snippets.
Writing code can be an arduous task at times, especially if there are numerous lines of it, so for the smooth running of code, error analysis, quick navigating, and refactorings.
There are various applications and platforms where one can run and analyse the code. Two major ones, in this case, are IntelliJ, developed by JetBrains, and Andriod Studio, both of which are Integrated Development Entertainment(IDE).
Coding and application building need not be exclusive to computer enthusiasts; they can be used by anyone who wants to build an app, be it for themselves personally or the company they work in.
- IntelliJ IDEA is a versatile Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for various programming languages, whereas Android Studio specifically targets Android app development.
- Android Studio is built on the IntelliJ platform, incorporating additional features and tools for Android development, such as a robust emulator and XML editor.
- IntelliJ IDEA offers a broader range of plugins and integrations for different frameworks and technologies, whereas Android Studio primarily focuses on enhancing the Android app development process.
IntelliJ vs Android Studio
IntelliJ IDEA is a Java-based IDE developed by JetBrains. Android Studio includes several features designed specifically for developing Android applications, such as the Android emulator, XML layout editor, and the ability to easily create a new Android project with preconfigured settings.
The IntelliJ or IntelliJ IDEA is an IDE for JVM, that is, Java Virtual Machine, and helps the developer to run error-free code by reducing repetitive work and thereby develop, model, and deploy computer software.
Android Studio is another IDE that is specifically targeted for Android app development. It can be used to build, create, and debug the code and test on Android platforms like phones, tablets, TVs, etc.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Java, Kotlin, Scala, and Groovy are the JVM languages supported on it. Plugin Bundles are available for popular languages like Python, Ruby, SQL, HTML, PHP, and many more.
|Apart from Java, it supports C and C++ languages.
|Both Java Virtual Machine and non-JVM
|As it is Google’s official IDE, it is best suited for Android.
|The licensed version needs to be purchased.
|It is entirely free.
What is IntelliJ?
IntelliJ IDEA is an Integrated Development Environment based on the JAVA programming language, and it can be used to develop, fix errors, and compile programs.
The main features of IntelliJ are smart and chain compilation, data flow analysis, Language injection, cross-language refactoring, detecting duplicates, inspection, and quick-fix.
Auto code completion and code refactoring are two class-defining features of IntelliJ, as this IDE can detect and suggest what code one might type.
This IDE gives consistent experience across all platforms, from Windows to Mac to Linux. The feature of Inline Debugging saves the developer some precious time while debugging.
There are two versions of this, one open-sourced and free, the Community version and the Ultimate version, which is a licensed version. One of its disadvantages is that this IDE is a bit more challenging to learn and uses a good amount of RAM.
What is Android Studio?
It is an IDE based on IntelliJ IDEA and exclusively on the Andriod environment. This major feature is the Apply change feature, which helps the developer change code or resources without leaving or restarting the code.
Next is the Intelligent code editor, which, as the name suggests, helps the coder write better and more productive codes.
A robust analytics framework, intelligence, helps the developer fix their issues with a single click. One can, of course, test their applications and improve upon them, and Andriod Studios help the developer configure, automate, manage, and customize their systems.
It also integrates with platforms like GitHub and Subversion so that a team of developers can work on a certain project together.
It is based on the Andriod environment. Thus, it is ideal for developing similar apps.
The disadvantages include the need for a significant amount of RAM for its smooth running, and multitasking on the platform is not that easy either.
Main Differences Between IntelliJ and Android Studio
- IntelliJ is a general IDE adaptable to any platform, while the Andriod Studio is exclusively for the Andriod system.
- Android Studio is entirely free, while IntelliJ has a version that is licensed and thus needs to be purchased.
- As Andriod Studio is based on IntelliJ, the latter previously supported all plugins of the android studio, but now certain plugins like Andriod APK Support are not compatible with IntelliJ.
- IntelliJ IDEA is better in speed and accuracy; while Andriod Studio is improving, IntelliJ is still better in these aspects.
- IntelliJ supports more languages than Andriod Studio.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.