King vs California King
Comfortable sleep will increase the productivity of an individual to about 4 times is a finding got from a survey. Sleep has become one of the basic needs like food, shelter, and clothing.
There are lots of benefits that come with a sound and comfortable sleep. Several factors come to the screen when a matter of comfortable sleep comes. One such factor is a comfortable mattress.
There are lots of confusion in buying a mattress that fits an individual needs. The two main types of mattresses that can be considered in buying are King and California King mattresses.
The main difference between King and California king mattress is, King mattress measurement is about 76” in width and 80” in length whereas, the California King mattress measures about 72” in width and 84” in length.
|Parameters of Comparison||King||California King|
|Dimensions (width X length)||76” X 80”||72” X 84”|
|Surface area||6,080 square inches||6,048 square inches|
|Other names||Eastern king||Western king|
|Suitable for||Couples||Taller persons|
|Bedrooms suitable||Larger bedrooms||Longer narrow bedrooms|
|Difficulty in moving||Extreme difficulty||Relatively lesser difficulty|
What is King?
King mattress is the type of mattress whose measurements are 76” width and 80” length with the total surface area of 6,080 square inches. This large surface area enables the mattress to the best choice for couples, who want to be close without sacrificing their personal space.
The king-sized mattress is also called by the name Eastern king. These mattresses are developed from the California or western king mattress after the world war when there is an upstroke in the economy and sales of the furniture.
King size mattress can resolve some common, simple yet serious issues like disturbed sleep because of snoring, stealing of cover, and much more.
King size mattress even though they resolve many problems, one small disappointment is that it cannot be contained in smaller bedrooms, especially when the room is narrow.
But, on the other side, if there are larger bedrooms, it is the most recommended mattress as they fit in the room with benefits of achieving balance, which in traditional subjects been called feng shui.
Pros of King mattress:
- As there is copious space for sleeping, there will not be any sleep disturbances in the night due to uncomfortable feelings like pins and needle pricking sensations.
- There is reduced risk of restless legs, which are due to pressure on Achilles tendon when uncomfortable posture is maintained
- Pleasant sleep with easy breathing because of the large space.
- There will not be disturbances to sleep because of partner movements.
Cons of King mattress:
- The mattress is on the lower side when it comes to cost. The initial models itself are a lit bit expensive.
- The larger the bed, the cooler is the surface. So, it is not preferable during winter seasons.
- It is not ergonomically fit for a smaller room.
- When shifting the places, it would be difficult to move the mattress because of its larger size and volume.
What is California King?
In the late 60s in Los Angeles, a luxury item for celebrity homes called California king was invented, which later became staple furniture in several areas.
The main feature of the California king is that it measures about 72” in width 84” long. It has a surface area of about 6,048 square inches. This model will be suitable for taller persons. This enables them to have a sound and comfortable sleep without sacrificing their posture.
It is also called by the name Western king.
The California king is suitable for the bedrooms which are longer and are less in width.
This type of mattress is found to be suitable for the person who is sleeping with their pets lying around their foot end.
This type of mattress is costlier and the couples will find difficulty in sleeping together as the width of the mattress is sacrificed for the length.
As it is primarily the first luxury type mattress, there will be no deficiency in the comfort of a single person.
Pros of California King:
- The California king mattress can be used in narrow bedrooms.
- It is suitable for the person who is taller than the average person.
- It is a little bit easy to move across doorways
Cons of California King:
- Costlier than other mattresses in the market.
- Heavier to move between places
- Less sleeping space as the length replaces the width.
- Accessories are rare and costly.
Main Differences Between King and California King
- The dimensions of the king are 76” in width and 80” in length whereas, those of California king is 72” in width and 84” in length.
- The surface area for the king is 6,080 square inches while the surface area of California king is 6,048 square inches.
- King mattress is suitable for couples whereas the California king is for single, taller persons.
- King mattress fits into broader and larger bedrooms whereas California king can be used in narrow, long bedrooms.
- The main difficulty regarding the king mattress is that its very difficult to move whereas the difficulty with California king is the accessories are expensive and that is too difficult to find.
As the difference between the king and California king size mattress is solely towards the size, there is not much difference in comfort during the sleep, in aspects that are outside those domains of interest. The benefits of sound sleep are never replaceable by any other known creation in the world.
So to get a proper, refreshing sleep purchasing a mattress that suits our needs and place becomes unavoidable and mandatory. For a wise selection of the mattress, thorough knowledge about different types of mattresses both in terms of sizes and materials used are essential.
Word Cloud for Difference Between King and California King
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on King and California King. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.