A virtual Private Network is a network of connections on the internet which enables us to connect to the vast data resources on the internet securely and without being traced back.
In the last two decades, the internet has entered almost all aspects of our life. With improvement and advancements on the internet, there comes the threat also.
There are several disadvantages to using the internet, and we become more vulnerable. One of the solutions for this vulnerability is Virtual Private Network. Many companies provide VPN services. Hola VPN and Hotspot shield are among those companies.
- Hola VPN is a peer-to-peer VPN service that routes user traffic through other users’ devices; Hotspot Shield is a traditional VPN service utilizing dedicated servers.
- Hola VPN may pose security and privacy risks due to its P2P nature; Hotspot Shield offers more robust security features and encryption.
- Hotspot Shield provides faster connection speeds and better performance than Hola VPN, which relies on users’ devices and the quality of connection.
Hola VPN vs Hotspot Shield
The difference between Hola VPN and Hotspot shield is that Hotspot shield is a larger scale company that uses the catapult hydra protocol for the improved experience in connecting to the internet. In contrast, Hola VPN is a VPN provider using Peer to Peer overlay network technology for connection.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Peer-to-peer overlay technology
|Catapult hydra protocol
|Across famous platforms, only
|Available for all platforms
|Free service available with paid upgrades
|Only premium services.
|Anonymity in torrenting
|No anonymity in torrenting
|Enables anonymity in torrenting
|Unblocking of sites
|Unblocking is not available for some sites
|Unblocking is available for all areas.
What is Hola VPN?
Hola VPN is a Virtual Private Network company that Ofer Vilenski and Derry Shribman for the secure experience of users of the internet founded. The Hola VPN mainly uses the HTTP routing overlay network technology for the VPN service.
Hola VPN is available on famous platforms by an Israel-based company.
Hola VPN offers free VPN service with upgrades at reasonable costs.
Pros of Hola VPN:
1. Speeder VPN:
Most VPNs slow down the speed of network usage as data is passed through several servers before reaching the target.
But Hola VPN balances this issue with its unique strategy and makes the speed reduction negligible in almost every instance. This can be attributed to its peer-peer overlay technology and millions of users using it.
2. Installation of the extensions:
Hola VPN can be easily installed on any platform available, from google chrome to apple tv.
3. Free of cost:
Hola VPN offers almost all of its services in the free version, with very few exceptions.
4. Unblocking almost any site:
Hola VPN can unblock any site quickly, which can be helpful for greater access to much valuable content on the internet, with few exceptions.
Cons of Hola VPN:
1. Shares little of the user’s bandwidth for the service:
Hola VPN works by peer-peer overlay technology, which means that the traffic from one user’s computer passes through another user’s computer. This leads to the disadvantage of extra bandwidth and CPU consumption.
2. Security risks:
There is no encryption system available in Hola VPN peer-to-peer overlay technology; exposing your details to the people inside the network will be risky.
3. Not helpful in torrenting:
As torrenting is one of the peer-to-peer services used by a larger population, it requires VPN to be anonymous online for security reasons. But, Hola VPN cannot be used for torrenting applications to establish anonymity.
4. Unsatisfactory customer service:
As far as customer service support is concerned, Hola VPN stands a little back in the race. The cons can be avoided by subscribing to the premium services, which exclude the user from being one of the servers inside the VPN.
What is Hotspot Shield?
Hotspot Shield is a VPN service that uses a unique technology called Catapult hydra protocol, which enables the user to use the VPN service without sacrificing the speed.
The hotspot shield masks the user’s IP efficiently and establishes 128-bit encryption in the connection.
This VPN provider is a large-scale US-based company.
They have strict policies for Logging user information. They collect only the necessary information to identify you as an individual. Your IP address will be deleted at the end of each session. There are certain limitations and benefits concerning the plan the user subscribed to.
Pros of Hotspot shield:
- Encryption: It is said to have military-level encryption that enables the user to access the internet without the fear of being exploited.
- Global internet access: This VPN network has more than 3 million worldwide virtual servers.
- Privacy protection: There is no storage of private information of the users while browsing.
- Simultaneous connections in more than 1 device: A single subscription may cover up to 5 devices.
Cons of Hotspot shield:
- Unsatisfactory customer support: There is no live chat customer support. It is only available in the form of ticketing.
- No free services: There is no free version to use. A subscription is required to access the service.
Main Differences Between Hola VPN and Hotspot Shield
- Hola VPN works on peer-to-peer overlay technology. Hotspot shield works on catapult hydra protocol technology.
- Hola VPN has no encryption in the connection. Hotspot Shield uses 128-bit encryption.
- Hola VPN is available on famous platforms only. Hotspot Shield is available on almost all platforms.
- Hola VPN has free service and is a premium upgrade. Hotspot shield has only paid services.
- Hola VPN is not available for unblocking some sites on the internet. Hotspot shield can unblock almost all the sites on the internet.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.