Virtual Private Network is a network of connection on the internet which enables us to connect to the vast resources of data on the internet securely and without being traced back.
In the last two decades, the internet has entered almost all aspects of our life. With improvement and advancements on the internet there comes the threat also. There are several disadvantages to using the internet and we become more vulnerable. One of the solutions for this vulnerability is Virtual Private Network. VPN services are provided by many companies. Hola VPN and Hotspot shield are among those companies.
Hola VPN vs Hotspot Shield
The difference between Hola VPN and Hotspot shield is that the Hotspot shield is a larger scale company, that uses the catapult hydra protocol for the improved experience in connecting to the internet, whereas Hola VPN is a VPN provider using Peer to Peer overlay network technology for connection.
Comparison Table Between Hola VPN and Hotspot Shield (in Tabular Form)
|Parameters of Comparison||Hola VPN||Hotspot Shield|
|Company location||Israel||US-based company|
|Technology||Peer to peer overlay technology||Catapult hydra protocol|
|Platforms||Across famous platform only||Available for all platforms|
|Encryption||No encryption||128bit encryption|
|Cost||Free service available with paid upgrades||Only premium services.|
|Anonymity in torrenting||No anonymity in torrenting||Enables anonymity in torrenting|
|Unblocking of sites||Unblocking is not available for some sites||Unblocking available for all sites.|
What is Hola VPN?
Hola VPN is a Virtual Private Network company that was founded by Ofer Vilenski and Derry Shribman, for the secure experience of the users of the internet. The Hola VPN mainly uses the HTTP routing overlay network technology for the VPN service.
Hola VPN is available on famous platforms and is by an Israel based company.
Hola VPN offers free VPN service with upgrades at reasonable costs.
Pros of Hola VPN:
1. Speeder VPN:
Most of the VPN slows down the speed of the network usage as there is passing of data through several servers before reaching the target. But Hola VPN balances this issue with its special strategy and makes the speed reduction negligible in almost every instance. This can be attributed to its peer-peer overlay technology and millions of users using it.
2.Installation of the extensions:
Hola VPN can be easily installed on any platform available from google chrome to apple tv.
3.Free of cost:
Hola VPN offers almost all of its services in the free version, with very few exceptions.
4. Unblocking almost any site:
Hola VPN can unblock any site easily, which can be useful for greater access to a large number of valuable content on the internet, with few exceptions.
Cons of Hola VPN:
Hola VPN works by peer-peer overlay technology, which means that the traffic from one user’s computer passes through the computer of another user. This leads to the disadvantage of extra bandwidth and CPU consumption.
As there is no encryption system available in Hola VPN peer to peer overlay technology, there will be a risk of exposing your details to the people inside the network.
3.Not useful for torrenting:
As torrenting is one of the peers to peer services which is being used by a very larger population, it requires VPN for being anonymous on the internet for security reasons. But, Hola VPN cannot be used for torrenting applications to establish anonymity.
4.Unsatisfactory customer service:
As far as customer service support is concerned Hola VPN stands a little back in the race. The cons can be avoided by subscribing to the premium services which exclude the user from being one of the servers inside the VPN.
What is Hotspot Shield?
Hotspot Shield is a VPN service that uses a special technology called Catapult hydra protocol, which enables the user to use the VPN service without sacrificing the speed.
Hotspot shield masks the IP of the user efficiently and establishes 128-bit encryption in the connection.
This VPN provider is a large scale US-based company.
They have strict policies for Logging of the user information. They collect only the information that is required to identify you as an individual. Your IP address will be deleted at the end of each session. There are certain limitations and benefits with respect to the plan that the user subscribed to.
Pros of Hotspot shield:
- Encryption: It is said to be having military level encryption that enables the user to access the internet without the fear of being exploited.
- Global internet access: There are more than 3 million worldwide virtual serves in this VPN network.
- Privacy protection: There is no storage of private information of the users while browsing.
- Simultaneous connections in more than 1 device: A single subscription may cover up to 5 devices.
Cons of Hotspot shield:
- Unsatisfactory customer support: There is no live chat customer support. It is only available in the form of ticketing.
- No free services: There is no free version to use. Subscription is required to access the service.
Main Differences Between Hola VPN and Hotspot Shield
- Hola VPN works on peer to peer overlay technology. Hotspot shield works on catapult hydra protocol technology.
- Hola VPN has no encryption in the connection. Hotspot Shield uses 128-bit encryption.
- Hola VPN is available on famous platforms only. Hotspot shield is available on almost all platforms.
- Hola VPN has free service is a premium upgrade. Hotspot shield has only paid services.
- Hola VPN is not available for unblocking some sites on the internet. Hotspot shield can unblock almost all the sites on the internet.
Establishing anonymity and secure connection on the internet has become a mandatory need nowadays because of lots of malware attacks and other potentially harmful threats.
So the selection of VPN services based on the pros and cons of each provider is essential and needs thorough knowledge about various VPN providers.
- 1 Hola VPN vs Hotspot Shield
- 2 Comparison Table Between Hola VPN and Hotspot Shield (in Tabular Form)
- 3 What is Hola VPN?
- 3.1 Pros of Hola VPN:
- 3.2 Cons of Hola VPN:
- 4 What is Hotspot Shield?
- 5 Main Differences Between Hola VPN and Hotspot Shield
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 References