Sculptures are extraordinary for symbolism since they symbolise various aspects of our culture. Honour is conveyed and cherished by statues.
No matter their significance, villains do not deserve monuments or names attached to lakes, streets, schools, or military posts.
These things remind us what was, what is, and what may be and are thus crucial in our lives. Part of this Statue of Liberty and the Statue of Unity are two famous statues with their significance.
- The Statue of Liberty in New York, USA, symbolizes freedom and democracy. At the same time, the Statue of Unity in Gujarat, India, represents unity and pays tribute to Indian statesman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The Statue of Liberty, made of copper and completed in 1886, stands at 305 feet, including its pedestal, while the Statue of Unity, made of bronze-coated concrete, stands at 597 feet and was completed in 2018.
- The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France to the United States, whereas the Statue of Unity was commissioned by the Indian government and built by Indian companies.
Statue of Liberty vs Statue of Unity
The difference between the Statue of Liberty and the Statue of Unity is that the Statue of Unity was erected in honour of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a liberation warrior from India. The Statue of Liberty’s primary purpose was to symbolise Liberty and democracy.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Gujarat, India, is home to the Statue of Unity. It’s a bronze sculpture. It was created to commemorate Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a freedom fighter from India.
He was also the driving force towards the unification of all Indian states following the partition of India and Pakistan. It’s only 1.5 years old.
The Statue of Liberty may be seen on Liberty Island in Manhattan, New York City, USA. It stands 93 metres tall, and it’s a statue made of copper. Frederic Auguste Bartholdi designed it.
It’s a statue of the Roman goddess of Liberty, Libertas. The Statue of Liberty appears to be far more lovely. It’s 133 years old and still looks fantastic.
|Parameters of Comparison||Statue of Liberty||Statue of Unity|
|Located in||It is located on the New York Harbor’s Liberty Island in New York City||Bronze sculpture|
|Built by||It is located near Sardar Sarovar Dam on the Narmada river in Gujarat||It was built by Larsen & Toubro|
|Height||93m in height||182m|
|Made by||made of copper||bronze sculpture|
|Old||It is 133 years old||1.5years old|
What is the Statue of Liberty?
One of the famous statues, the Statue of Liberty, located in New York Harbor on Liberty Island, was dedicated on October 18, 1886. It is intended to symbolise Liberty and democracy.
Even though French and American funds co-founded the statue, it is stated that it was a precious gift received by the people of the United States from France.
Newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer organised a crowd-funding effort and generated more than $100,000 to assist in paying for the statue’s construction.
In July 1884, the figure was sculpted in France and delivered in New York in June 1885. President Grover Cleveland inaugurated it on October 28, 1886.
The Statue of Liberty is a robed lady symbolising Libertas. The goddess has a torch in her right hand, which she raises above her head.
There is a tabula in her hand, represented in Roman numerals with “JULY IV MDCCLXXVI” (July 4, 1776), which is the date of the Independence Declaration of the United States.
As she goes forward, a broken chain rests near her feet. The Statue of Liberty has an iron core organization and a copper exterior. It stands 93 metres tall. Gustave Eiffel, a French civil engineer, designed it.
What is the Statue of Unity?
Sardar Patel is commemorated with the Statue of Unity. The decision to retain the height at 182 metres corresponded with Gujarat’s total number of assembly seats.
Around 3,400 people worked on the statue’s construction. The figure lies near the Sardar Sarovar Dam on Gujarat’s Narmada River.
Firstly, the project was launched by then-Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2010. The groundbreaking ceremony took place on October 31, 2013.
Next year, the Indian multinational L&T will be awarded the monument’s contract. It was constructed in only 33 months. They obtained iron needed for construction through a campaign known as ‘Loha.’
The Trust has gathered iron from every state in the country as part of its initiative. An estimated 50,00,000 kg of iron was crowdsourced—Sardar Patel’s monument building employed around 3,400 workers.
They believed the statue’s initial cost to be approximately Rs 3,001 crore.
However, after the bidding procedure for the monument’s design, building, and maintenance was completed, Larsen and Turbo won the contract in October 2014 for Rs 2,989 crore.
The government had set a goal of finishing the construction by mid-October 2018 and dedicating the statue to Patel’s 143rd birthday.
Main Differences Between the Statue of Liberty and the Statue of Unity
- Building the Statue of Liberty aims to provide freedom and democracy, whereas the Statue of Unity represents the efforts of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- On October 28, 1886, the president of the United States dedicated the Statue of Liberty. On the other hand, On October 31, 2018, the Statue of Unity was unveiled by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Statue of Unity is 182 metres tall, the Statue of Unity is situated near the River Narmada in Gujarat at Sardar Sarovar Dam; the Statue of Liberty is situated in New York Harbor’s Liberty Island, is roughly 93 metres tall. In other words, the Statue of Unity is nearly double the height of the Statue of Liberty.
- The Statue of Liberty took 11 years to build, and India’s Statue of Unity was completed in just 34 months!
- The American statue has an iron inner structure and a copper exterior, but the Indian monument has reinforcement steel, structural steel, and bronze. The Liberty was erected at roughly $100,000, financed through a crowd-funding initiative led by newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer. And The Unity cost INR 2,989 crore ($403.9 million) to build!
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.