As much confusion arises between similar terms, what is the difference between super retina when both perform the same function. It’s a common misconception that they are the same but have a different name because both come with the iPhones.
Well, there is evidence that both are different from each other.
- Super Retina is an Apple display technology used in iPhones and iPads, featuring OLED panels with high resolution, contrast ratio, and color accuracy.
- Liquid Retina is another Apple display technology used in iPhones and iPads, featuring LCD panels with advanced pixel masking and sub-pixel anti-aliasing for smooth curves and sharp text.
- Both Super Retina and Liquid Retina are Apple display technologies. Still, Super Retina uses OLED panels with higher contrast ratios, while Liquid Retina uses advanced LCD panels for smooth visuals and sharp text.
Super Retina vs Liquid Retina
The difference between the super retina and liquid retina are liquid retina 326-pixel density for iPhone and 264 for iPads. In comparison, the super retina has a higher pixel density of OLED display, and you can get this type of display in iPhone X, XS, and XS Max.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
The Super Retina is a display that Apple has used in iPhone X, XS, and XS max phones. It has OLED technology, which delivers high resolution and extremely high contrast ratio with no backlight. It releases light from each pixel and provides a thinner display.
Liquid Retina is a display that was currently used in iPhone XR. This display has a higher level of the pixel, which creates a paper-like screen effect where all pixels are not noticeable to the naked eye.
|Parameter of comparison||Super retina||Liquid retina|
|Meaning||Super Retina is an OLED display that has high resolution and extremely high contrast.||Liquid Retina is an LCD with a higher pixel level, which creates a paper-like screen effect where all pixels are not noticeable.|
|Availability||Super Retina is an OLED display that comes in iPhone X, XS, and XS Max.||The liquid retina is an LCD that comes with iPhone XR And iPads.|
|Brightness||The maximum brightness of Super Retina is 800 nits.||The maximum brightness of Liquid Retina is 625 nits.|
|Contrast||Contrast ratio of Super Retina is 1,000,000:1.||The contrast ratio of Liquid Retina is 1400:1.|
|Pixel ratio||Super Retina has a pixel density of 458 PPI in both XS and XS Max.||Liquid Retina has a pixel density of 326 PPI on the iPhone and 264 PPI on iPads.|
|Quality||iPhone with super retina display has a better screen display, and visuals are also reasonable compared to liquid retina.||Its visual quality is not as good as compared to the super retina display.|
|Haptic touch||Haptic touch is missing in the super retina OLED display.||Haptic touch is present in the liquid retina LCD.|
|Expensive||Manufacturing of OLED is much costlier; super retina is pricier than the liquid retina.||It is less expensive compared to Super Retina.|
What is Super Retina?
The Super Retina is an OLED display that has been found recently on iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max. It was designed by Apple so that it meets up the higher standard of the people.
It is one of the best OLED displays which offers impressive color accuracy in the industry. It has the best quality display, high brightness, extremely good contrast, and excellent cinema-standard with a wide scope.
It has the best system of color management, which delivers optimal viewing experience.
Both Super Retina and Super Retina XDR, which was found in iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, gives High Dynamic Range (HDR) and gives a wide range of dark and light areas video and photo.
It uses organic emitting diode technology. Super Retina uses advanced technology to provide excellent viewing experience and raises the standard of the iPhone series.
OLED technology gives high contrast and high resolution with no backlight; it discharges light through each pixel and provides a thin display.
It is one of the best OLED displays that undoubtedly provide high contrast, high brightness, excellent color accuracy, and broad color support.
An OLED display sometimes shifts color and hue; it is the feature of an OLED display. After long term use, an OLED display can show visual changes.
What is Liquid Retina?
A Liquid Retina is an LCD display that usually comes in iPhone 11, iPhone XR, and Ipad Pro. This display relies on a higher level of the pixel, which creates a paper-like screen effect. In this display, pixels are not visible in the naked eye.
It does not have a high contrast level; commonly, it comes in an expensive apple device like iPhone 11 Pro. The Liquid Retina display has a pixel density of 1792*828, which is found in the iPhone XR and iPhone 11.
Main Differences Between Super Retina and Liquid Retina
- Super Retina is an OLED screen display, whereas Liquid Retina is an LCD display.
- Super Retina usually comes in-built in iPhone X, XS, and XS Max. On the other hand, Liquid retina is found in iPhone XR And iPads.
- Liquid Retina is one of the oldest technologies of making the display, whereas Super Retina is a new technology of making a display.
- The parts of Super Retina are more expensive than Liquid Retina.
- The OLED display’s pixel ratio is 458 PPI on both iPhone XS and XS Max, whereas the pixel ratio of Liquid Retina is326 PPI on the iPhone and 264 PPI on iPads.
- It provides an OLED display with high contrast, high brightness, excellent color accuracy, and broad color support in the mobile industry. Liquid Retina does not offer these features.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.