Sony has managed to upgrade their portable gaming platform to many upgraded and featured versions and the best one being the portable PlayStation. This is commonly known as PSP. The latest version of this series if PS Vita.
This portable PlayStation comes in two different variants. One is 3G PS Vita and the other is WiFi PS Vita. As the name suggests, the main distinction between the two is in the data network they connect to. But there are other significant differences as well.
3G vs Wifi PS Vita
The difference between 3G PS Vita and WiFi PS Vita is that 3G PS Vita connects via mobile cellular data as well as wifi. WiFi PS Vita can only connect through wifi. Both have their advantage over the other.
3G PS Vita is the PlayStation by Sony that connects to the internet via wifi and cellular network. One can play turn-based games through 3G Vita. It has an advantage over WiFi PS Vita as it can be used in any location or region.
WiFi PS Vita is the PlayStation by Sony that only connects to the internet via wifi. In an area with many wifi hotspots, it is advantageous to use WiFi PS Vita over 3G PS Vita. It also has unlimited data streaming and bandwidth so larger game files can be downloaded.
|Parameters of Comparison||3G PS Vita||WiFi PS Vita|
|Network||This model of PlayStation connects to the internet via cellular network as well as wifi.||This PS Vita only connects to the internet via Wifi.|
|Gaming||The 3G connection does not allow most of the multiplayer games to be played through this connection. This is because of poor latency.||There is no such problem with the wifi connection. All multiplayer games are supported in this connection.|
|Data||It provides limited data of up to 20MB only. So it cannot be used for downloading or streaming games that have a larger size than 20 MB||It provides unlimited bandwidth and speed. So it is mainly used for downloading and streaming the games as most of them requires a wifi connection.|
|Cost||Connecting to 3g is not free. It often requires a pre-decided data streaming plan to use the connection. You need to have a 3g plan with the carrier.||One need not have a data plan to use wifi connection. It is also much cheaper since a wifi signal can be obtained anywhere with a wifi connection.|
|Accessibility||If the area you live in has few wifi connections, then it is better to use 3g as it can connect to a cellular network as well.||It is best to have the wifi version if you have a lot of wifi hotspots in and around the area where you live.|
What is 3G PS Vita?
3G PS Vita is the latest model of portable PlayStation introduced by Sony in the PS Vita series. It was introduced such that they can connect via wifi as well as cellular network provided by their smartphones.
So 3G Vita can be used in any region, with or without a wifi connection as it is also dependent on the cellular network. But for being able to use 3g cellular network, one must have a data plan with a barrier.
3G PS Vita also allows social media like Near, Party and group messaging. It also supports other social apps like Facebook and Netflix.
Also, this does not allow multiplayer games as they have poor latency. So it is recommended to play turn-based games through these portable PlayStations.
What is WiFi PS Vita?
WiFi PS Vita is also a model of portable PlayStation introduced by Sony in the PS Vita series. As the name suggests, this PlayStation only connects to available wifi hotspots for gaming.
So to use a Wifi Vita, it is necessary to have a nearby and available wifi connection or hotspot in your area. One does not require any data plan like 3G PS Vita, because it does not cause an additional cost.
This PlayStation does not support social media platforms or any kinds of social applications like Netflix. So, if one needs to use such media, it is better to opt for 3G PS Vita.
Due to unlimited data streaming and bandwidth, all large files of games can be downloaded and played regardless of whether they are multiplayer or single player
Main Differences Between 3G PS Vita and WiFi PS Vita
- 3G PS Vita is the model of PlayStation that connects to the internet via wifi and cellular network. This is not possible for WiFi PS Vita. This is because this model only connects to wifi hotspots available in the area. So the major distinction between the two is the network that they can connect to.
- Due to poor latency, 3G Vita is not compatible with most of the multiplayer games. They support games that have turns for the players and even the gamers prefer to use this version for such games. In the case of Wifi Vita, there is no such problem. They are compatible with all the kinds of games that are offered by the PlayStation.
- The data plans provided by the two models are also different. 3G Vita provides a maximum of 20 MB of limited data. So only the game files that are 20 MB or lesser can be downloaded through 3g. On the other hand, Wifi Vita provides unlimited bandwidth and speed. It also does not have limited data and most of the games require a wifi connection to download.
- Connecting to the two plans is also different in terms of cost. Wifi vista does not require a plan and is therefore much cheaper than 3G Vita. It is also because a wifi signal can be received from any wifi hotspot available in the area. This is not the case for 3G Vita. For using 3G Vita, one needs to have a data plan with a carrier that can cost a non-negligible amount for most.
- If you live in an area with very few wifi hotspots or open connections, it is better to opt for 3G Vita as one can also rely on the cellular network provided by their smartphones. But if you live in a locality with many strong wifi hotspots in and around the area, using Wifi Vita would be more advantageous.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
I am Sandeep Bhandari; I have 20 years of experience in the technology field. I have various technical skills and knowledge in database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about me on my bio page.