Different drinks are being enjoyed by many. While most people like to have alcohol, others sometimes avoid it. For those people, beer and cider have proved to be the best options. Both of them have very less amount of alcohol content in them. They both are not new in the market, but one of them is among the oldest drink. They do not only taste excellent but have several benefits at the same time. They both very similar to each other, but it will be definitely wrong to say that they are the same. They are not; they have various differences, which have been mentioned below.
Beer vs Cider
The difference between beer and cider is that cider is produced with only one process of fermentation, while for beer, brewing and fermentation are used. Both of them differ in their appearances, tastes, and many more other things. Also, there are types of cider that does not have any alcohol in it, thus a great option for individual who does not consume alcohol at all.
Beer is a drink made up of malted barley and fruits by brewing and fermenting. Raw materials are extracted with water. It is dark and pale in color and always has some alcohol content in it. It was discovered that having alcohol consumption in adequate quantity is good for the human heart.
Cider is a drink made from apple juice by the fermentation process. It is not an alcoholic drink always. It may or may not contain alcohol in it. It is yellow, orange or brown in color. It is good for protecting from certain cancers as it contains antioxidants in a large amount.
Comparison Table Between Beer and Cider
|Parameters of Comparison||Beer||Cider|
|Ingredients||Made from malted barley (may contain fruit).||Made from apple juice.|
|Process||Brewing and fermenting.||Fermenting apple juice.|
|Colour||Pale and dark||Yellow, orange, or brown.|
|Alcohol content||Always contains alcohol||Can be alcoholic or non-alcoholic.|
|Health benefits||Good for your heart.||Contains antioxidants.|
What is Beer?
A lot of people nowadays prefer beer over any other alcoholic drink. While there is an option too, but beer has been among the oldest drinks. Therefore, it is more famous and preferred among the people. It is an excellent source of Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphorus, Niacin, and Folate.
Advantages of beer can be:
- Heart benefits: it was discovered recently only that beer consumption may lead to a healthy heart. Like wine, alcohol leads to improve heart health.
- Blood sugar level improvements: consumption of beer has resulted in lowering the blood sugar level in certain people. Not only has it lowered the level, but it also prevents it from further increasing.
- Bone strength: consumption of beer also has to lead to help strengthen bones for men and postmenopausal in women.
Disadvantages of consuming Alcohol can be:
- Obesity: having a beer in more than adequate quantity always increases the risk of obesity and weight gain, especially around the belly area.
- Brain cells damaging: it can also lead to damaging of brain cells, causing problems in focusing on any activity.
- Dehydration: it can lead to dehydration in the body which further results in headaches, dry mouth, and upset stomach, and several other side effects.
- Sleep disturbance: it can also lead to disturbing sleep, which is not good for your health in general.
- Fatigue: it is the main disadvantage and most common among the person who drinks beer in excess.
There are many disadvantages, and to avoid these, the only thing that needs to be done is to keep a check on beer consumption.
What is Cider?
It is not an older drink but surely is a famous one. It is highly popular in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland; it is consumed maximum in these areas. Unlike beer, there is a variety of cider that does not have alcohol content in it. That is also one of the main reasons behind its popularity.
Its appearance is not the same, it varies with its type, and it can be bubbly, cloudy, or even clear. It contains Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. 1 cup or 8 ounces of cider contains the following:
- Calories: 120
- Protein: 0.3 grams
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28 grams
- Fiber: 0.5 grams
- Sugar: 24 grams
Benefits: there are several benefits of consuming cider as it contains all the above nutrients. It is very helpful in killing the harmful bacteria in the body. It can also lead to manage the blood sugar level, and in case of increase it helps in lowering the level, it also sometimes is very helpful in losing the weight and helping with the problem of obesity, it is good for skin too, and last but not the least it helps prevent and protect against inflammation and cancer.
Main Differences Between Beer and Cider
- Both of the Beer and Cider has common fermented sugar, but it does have different ingredients, while for producing beer ingredient required are malted barley, and it can also have some fruit or other ingredients, but cider is always made from apple juice.
- The process that is required for producing Beer is Brewing and fermenting, both whiles for Cider is produced by the process of fermenting only. Apple juice is fermented to produce cider.
- They both have different colors, beer has a pale and very dark color and cider has yellow, orange, or brown color. Cider is always lighter in color as compared to beer.
- Cider has two flavor variations, dry and sweet, while the flavor of beer depends on the temperature of the brewing. It can either be lager or ale.
- Beer always has some content of alcohol which varies according to the production, but cider does not always have alcohol in it. Some cider does not have even 1 percent of alcohol in it.
- When compared with each other, cider has more sugar content in it as it is made from fermentation, while beer can be made from brewing. This implies it has less sugar content in it.
- They both have several health benefits, such as. In recent studies, it was found that having a beer can lead to a healthy heart (not in excess), and cider has antioxidants, especially those that help in protecting against cancer.
Therefore, it is crystal clear how both of them are different. They are consumed and preferred all over the world by several. It depends upon the taste and the preference of the customer, of what amount of alcohol content they want in their drink. While there are other options, too, such as drinks that do not have any alcohol content in them. These drinks usually contain fruits in them which have their benefits and importance.
Also, these drinks should be consumed in fixed proportion as excess intake could have some negative impact on their health.