The internet has given birth to several advancements in the world of technology. The most popular and widely used invention is that of social media.
Social media is the technology that enables people to share information, ideas and interests via creating virtual communities. Social media is a platform that helps us virtually share with the masses.
Tweeting and blogging come under the common umbrella of social media. Both mediums are used to share certain information with people via text.
Blogging is sharing information in articles of varying lengths (800-1500 words). Tweets, on the other hand, are the compact form of blogs.
- A blog is a website or webpage containing regularly updated content, while Twitter is a micro-blogging platform where users post short messages or updates.
- Blogging allows users to share their thoughts more clearly, whereas Twitter is useful for quick updates and real-time conversations with followers.
- Blogging can help users establish their expertise on a topic, while Twitter is more suitable for building a following and engaging with other users in real time.
Blog vs Twitter
The blog is a platform for in-depth writing and storytelling where one can share their thoughts, experiences and knowledge, and it is meant for longer-form content. Twitter is a micro-blogging site where people post short, concise messages in real time and are designed for quick updates.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Blogs can have different formats and lengths.
|Twitter is a social media application that allows users to share compact texts called tweets.
|Length of text
|Blogs are longer in size, varying from 800-1500 words.
|Tweets have a limit of 140 characters.
|According to the people who write, blogs can have different formats and lengths.
|Twitter does not allow formatting of the text, and people do not have much control over changing its properties.
|Blogs are written on computers, for they can easily be edited there.
|Twitter is used mostly on mobile phones as there isn’t much to write and edit.
|Blogs appear with advertisements on the website alongside the text.
|Tweets are not interrupted or shown alongside advertisements.
What is a Blog?
A blog is a journal or an informational website published on the internet. It is updated at regular intervals of time with text entries or posts.
The posts appear in reverse chronological order. The first written post appears last, while the most recent post appears first.
A blog is what gave birth to Twitter. The blog wasn’t considered a part of social media at the start, but now social media is closely correlated to blogging.
It helps in creating web traffic for the blog site. The term ‘blog’ was introduced by Peter Merholz in 1999.
Blogging provides writers with a lot of control over their text. They can choose their length, format, and media to create blog posts.
Videos, gifs, audio, photos and other media can be used to create a blog.
Blogs can also be used to generate income. The amount of ads that appear on your blog webpage is directly proportional to how much you earn.
Several websites, like Blogger, WordPress, etc., can help you publish your blogs.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is an American social media application. It is used for blogging short texts of 140 characters. It is also known as microblogging. The app allows liking, sharing and commenting on tweets.
The application was invented by Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams in March 2006. Twitter has been a fast-growing service since its launch. It has more than 300 million active users now.
Twitter constrains the users with a character limit, no formatting, and little media use. Media can accompany tweets. Only one file can be attached to a single tweet. The options are very limited as compared to blogs.
Tweets cannot be used to generate income. The app has ads, but they help generate income for the company and not the users.
Main Differences Between a Blog and Twitter
- A blog is a regularly updated website with articles, while Twitter is an app to share short tweets with your followers.
- Blogs can be in various forms and have several themes. You can also keep a journal in the form of a blog. Tweets can be related to anything or even be random.
- Tweets only contain 140 characters, while blogs are longer, with around 1500 words each.
- You can format blogs in several ways, which is impossible in tweets.
- Blogs are written on a computer, while tweets are in a mobile application.
- Advertisements may accompany blogs on the website, but there is no such thing as tweets.
- Blogs can be updated on websites or applications like Blogger, WordPress, etc. Tweets can only be written on Twitter.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.