The internet has given birth to several advancements in the world of technology. The most popular and widely used invention being that of social media.
Social media is the technology that enables people to share information, ideas and interests via creating virtual communities. Social media is basically a platform that helps us share with the masses virtually.
Tweeting and blogging come under the common umbrella of social media. Both mediums are used to share certain information with people via text.
Blogging is sharing information in the form of articles that can be of varying lengths (usually 800-1500 words). Tweets, on the other hand, are the compact form of blogs.
- A blog is a website or webpage containing regularly updated content, while Twitter is a micro-blogging platform where users post short messages or updates.
- Blogging allows users to share their thoughts more clearly, whereas Twitter is useful for quick updates and real-time conversations with followers.
- Blogging can help users establish their expertise on a topic, while Twitter is more suitable for building a following and engaging with other users in real time.
Blog vs Twitter
The difference between a Blog and Twitter is that a Blog usually maintains a log of regularly updated articles on a website. Twitter has no such compulsion. Twitter is usually used as a mass chat among any number of people. The world becomes your platform.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameters of Comparison||Blog|
|Content||A blog is the creation and maintenance of a log of articles on a website.||Twitter is a social media application that allows users to share compact texts called tweets.|
|Length of text||Blogs are longer in size, varying from 800-1500 words.||Tweets have a limit of 140 characters.|
|Format||Blogs can have different formats and lengths according to the people who write it.||Twitter does not allow formatting of the text and people do not have a lot of control over changing its properties.|
|Device Used||Blogs are usually written on computers for they can easily be edited there.||Twitter is used mostly in mobile phones as there isn’t much to write and edit.|
|Advertisements||Blogs appear with advertisements on the website alongside the text.||Tweets are not interrupted or shown alongside advertisements.|
What is a Blog?
A blog is a journal or an informational website published on the internet. It is usually updated at regular intervals of time with text entries or posts.
The posts appear in reverse chronological order. The first written post appears last while the most recent post appears first.
A blog is what gave birth to Twitter. The blog wasn’t considered as a part of social media at the start but now social media is closely correlated to blogging.
It helps in creating web traffic for the blog site. The term ‘blog’ was introduced by Peter Merholz in 1999.
Blogging provides writers with a lot of control over their text. They can choose their length, format and media to be used in creating blog posts.
Videos, gifs, audios, photos and several other kinds of media can be used in creating a blog.
Blogs can also be used to generate income. The amount of ads that appear on your blog webpage is directly proportional to how much you earn.
There are several websites that can help you publish your blogs like Blogger, WordPress, etc.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is an American social media application. It is used for blogging short texts of 140 characters. It is also known as microblogging. The app allows liking, sharing and commenting on tweets.
The application was invented by Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams in March 2006. Twitter has been a fast-growing service since its launch. It has more than 300 million active users now.
Twitter constraints the users with a character limit, no formatting and little use of media. Tweets can be accompanied by media only one file can be attached with a single tweet. The options are very limited as compared to blogs.
Tweets cannot be used to generate income. The app does have ads, but they help in generating income for the company and not the users.
Main Differences Between a Blog and Twitter
- A blog is a regularly updated website that has articles, while Twitter is an app used to share short tweets with your followers.
- Blogs can be in various forms and have several themes. You can also keep a journal in the form of a blog. Tweets can be related to anything or even be random.
- Tweets only consist of 140 characters while blogs are longer, with around 1500 words each.
- You can format blogs using several different ways which is not possible in the case of tweets.
- Blogs are usually written on a computer while tweets are usually written in the mobile application.
- Blogs may be accompanied by advertisements on the website but there is no such thing in tweets.
- Blogs can be updated on websites or applications like Blogger, WordPress, etc. Tweets can only be written on Twitter.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.