Cottagecore and Goblincore might be the new terms introduced in English, but the aesthetics of living style, ideas, décor, etc., are quite old.
Both the terms are used for the house décor, choice of colors, the different aesthetic approaches, and the values considered to furnish a place in a house.
- Cottagecore idealizes a peaceful and romanticized rural life, whereas Goblincore embraces the weirdness and darkness of nature and folklore.
- Cottagecore features soft and dreamy pastel colors, while Goblincore uses earthy tones and unconventional textures like moss, twigs, and bones.
- Cottagecore represents a nostalgic and idyllic view of the countryside, while Goblincore celebrates the eerie and mysterious aspects of the natural world.
Cottagecore vs Goblincore
The difference between Cottagecore and Goblincore is that the aesthetics of Cottagecore is inspired by the romanticized western agricultural lifestyle while comparatively, on the other hand, the aesthetics of Goblincore is inspired by the goblins, which are related to the ugliness or dirtiness in connection with nature also, it can be expressed by any plants or animals.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Cottagecore is the aesthetic culture that originated in the back decade of the 1910s. The idea of origin behind it was the excessive romanticism of western agricultural lifestyle culture.
The individuals following the Cottagecore aesthetic culture loves to be in and around nature. As the colors, values, and motifs of the aesthetic are inspired by it.
Goblincore is another type of aesthetic culture that gained popularity in the last decade, that is 2010. The name itself suggests the connection of the aesthetic clan with the goblins.
The goblins are considered to be the ugliest or dirtiest creatures. Thus, now it is believed that the new Goblincore aesthetic clan can be found in the form of animals or plants.
|Parameters of Comparison||Cottagecore||Goblincore|
|Other Names||Farmcore, Countrycore, Teacore||Gremlincore|
|Key Motifs||Wildflower, gingham, pies, crop, cottages, farm animals||Candles, snails, dirt, clutter, mushroom, goblins, flora, frogs, moss, shiny jewels|
|Key Values||Queerness, rejection of modernity, serenity, femininity, anti-capitalism||Diversity, imperfection, curiosity, nature|
|Key Colors||Green, Yellow, Brown, Cream/Off-White||Light brown, dark green, dark lime, dark brown, and sometimes navy blue|
|Decade of Origin||2010||1910|
What is Cottagecore?
Cottagecore is also referred to by other names called Farmcore, Countrycore, and Teacore.
The idea of Cottagecore has been inspired by the ideology of the romanticized western agricultural lifestyle that originated back in the decade the 1910s.
It is an idea of living with peace and harmony in or around nature. The ideology of the Cottagecore aesthetic life became popular on social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and Tumblr.
The themes related to the ideology are self-care, baking, caring, self-sufficiency.
The lifestyle is quite popular among the LGBTQ+ community [especially the lesbians and the women-loving women (WLW) communities that are present].
The Cottagecore aesthetics idea has been criticized by many people. They believed it is injustice with farm laborers and many more reasons.
The color scheme of the aesthetic is said to be inspired by the Earth or nature because the main color-related are brown as of wood, green as of leaves, yellow as of sun and flowers, etc.
The fashion style of the Cottagecore aesthetic is also different, and the clothes of the individuals working and living there are believed to be wearing loose-fitting, long skirts, overalls, checked or patterned clothes, etc.
What is Goblincore?
Goblincore is the aesthetic that is also referred to by another name called Gremlincore and is quite similar to that of Dragoncore.
As the name suggests, the Goblincore aesthetic got its name by Goblin – the creatures that are associated with the ugliest or the dirtiest creature with some strange feature while core refers to the central point of something and thus the combination of the two words made the new aesthetic called Goblincore.
It originated in the last decade of 2010 and gained popularity via Tumblr and TikTok.
It is said that Goblincore can be found in the form of animals or plants, and with passing time, the popularity of the aesthetic has been increasing.
The aesthetic is associated with the things that seem to be ugly or dirty to other individuals like animals – snails, frogs, and mosses, mud, plants, and fungi, especially mushrooms.
It is largely popular in the LGBTQ+ community, mainly in transgender, non-binary, and demi gender people. The individuals following the Goblincore culture often like to hoard tiny shiny items called shinies.
The colors of the aesthetic are also inspired by the earth, like Light brown, dark green, dark lime, dark brown, and sometimes navy blue.
Main Differences Between Cottagecore and Goblincore
- The other names known for the Cottagecore are – Farmcore, Countrycore, Teacore, while comparatively, on the other hand, the other name use for the term Goblincore is the Gremlincore.
- The key motifs of the aesthetic Cottagecore are the wildflowers, gingham, pies, crop, cottages, farm animals, while comparatively, on the other hand, the key motifs of the aesthetic Goblincore are Candles, snails, dirt, clutter, mushroom, goblins, flora, frogs, moss, and shiny jewels.
- The key values of the Cottagecore are Queerness, rejection of modernity, serenity, femininity, anti-capitalism, agrarianism, tradition, and European heritage, while comparatively, on the other hand, the key value of the aesthetics Goblincore are Diversity, imperfection, curiosity, and nature.
- The key colors used by the Cottagecore clan are green, yellow, brown, cream, or off-white, while comparatively, on the other hand, the key colors used by the Goblincore clan are those inspired by the earth like Light brown, dark green, dark lime, dark brown, and sometimes navy blue.
- The Cottagecore aesthetic was originated in the decade of 1910s while comparatively, on the other hand, the Goblincore aesthetic originated and gained popularity in the last decade 2010s.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.