Social media platforms are increasing daily with similar or overlapping features and some different features.
These networking platforms include Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest.
Pinterest and Tumblr are the two networking platforms that are often confused with one another.
Both networking platforms originated in America and allowed people to share and save images and videos.
- Pinterest is a social media platform that allows users to share and discover visual content through pins on virtual boards.
- Tumblr is a microblogging platform that allows users to share various content, including text, images, videos, and GIFs, in a blog-like format.
- While both Pinterest and Tumblr allow users to discover and share content, they have different user demographics, with Pinterest being more popular among women and Tumblr being popular among younger demographics.
Pinterest vs Tumblr
Pinterest is a visual bookmarking platform that allows users to save and organize images and videos, focusing more on discovery and inspiration. Tumblr is a microblogging and social networking platform where users can post various content types, including text, images, videos, and GIFs.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameter of Comparison||Tumblr|
|Founder and founding year||Pinterest was designed by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp in 2009.||Tumblr was designed by David Karp and was released in 2007.|
|What is it?||Pinterest is an American image sharing and social media platform owned by Pinterest Inc based in San Francisco.||Tumblr is an American microblogging and social network platform currently owned by Automattic.|
|User interface and user base||Pinterest has a blended user interface that is somewhat difficult to use and provides no customisation possibilities. Pinterest is popular among creativity lovers, especially females.||The user interface of Tumblr is easier to use and offers visual uniqueness and preference. Tumblr is more appealing to young college-going students and passionate working people from ethnic backgrounds.|
|Type of content and Ways to use||Pinterest allows its user to post content as an image or a video. Pinterest has a Pin it button that lets its user share their content.||Tumblr lets its users post content in text, images, audio, video, etc. Tumble provides all the options above the feeds through which one can edit and share the content.|
|Their aim and user statistics||The primary focus of Pinterest is to connect people from all over the world, as mentioned on the about me page of Pinterest. Pinterest has over 400 million monthly users as of August 2020.||Tumblr aims at letting people share anything effortlessly and customize everything as they mention on their about me page.|
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is an American image-sharing and social networking platform enabling users to discover and save information through images and videos.
Pinterest was developed and designed by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp and was released in 2009. It is owned by Pinterest Inc, based in San Francisco.
Pinterest is also known as a visual search engine because of the format of its content. It consists mainly of pins and boards, and a board is a collection of pins.
Depending on which feeds are shown, a person can follow boards and other users. It allows users to search content through images, termed visual search.
Pinterest allows a person to promote their businesses and provides analytics insights. It features tools that let a business account gain more popularity.
Pinterest is currently available in iOS, Android and Windows 10 versions.
Pinterest has a strong user base with around 400 million monthly users and is particularly popular with creative users. Pinterest registers more females than males.
What is Tumblr?
Tumblr is also an American microblogging networking platform released in 2007.
David Karp developed it, and is currently owned by Automattic. It has its headquarters in New York City, US.
Tumblr provides a dashboard for its users to view the posts by the accounts and users they follow.
Here a person can like, comment and reblog a post. It also allows tags so that the post can be found easily.
Tumblr hosts around 465 million users daily and is popular with young college students and working-class people from ethnic backgrounds.
Tumble also faced criticism in many countries due to its pornographic content, with around 22% of the traffic classified as pornography.
However, Tumblr later released features that block such content from the platform.
Main Differences Between Pinterest and Tumblr
- Pinterest and Tumblr are both American social networking platforms.
- Pinterest was released in the year 2009, whereas Tumblr made its debut in 2007.
- Pinterest is owned by Pinterest Inc, based in San Francisco; however, Tumblr is currently owned by Automattic.
- Pinterest is a platform for sharing and saving images, videos and gifs, whereas Tumblr is for sharing images, audio, texts, videos, links and other types of content.
- The user interface of Pinterest is complicated and thus difficult to use, whereas the user interface of Tumblr is easier to use and using it is often termed as ‘Tumbling’.
- Pinterest has pin and board options to save images and videos, whereas Tumblr provides all options above the feeds to save and edit content.
- Pinterest focuses mainly on connecting people worldwide, whereas Tumblr focuses on sharing everything effortlessly and customizing everything.
- Pinterest has around 400 million monthly users, whereas Tumblr hosts over 465 million daily users.
- Pinterest is particularly popular among creative users because of the ideas available on it, and in contrast, Tumblr is more popular among the working class and young students.
- Both platforms are suitable for business purposes; however, the engagement rate is much higher on Pinterest.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.