The number of Social media platforms is increasing day-by-day that have some similar or overlapping features and some different features.
Some of these networking platforms include Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc.
Pinterest and Tumblr are the two networking platforms that are often confused with one another.
Both the networking platforms have their origin in America and allows a person to share and save images and videos.
Table of Contents
Pinterest vs Tumblr
The main difference between Pinterest and Tumblr is that Pinterest is primarily an image based link sharing social platform that lets you upload images through links designed to save and discover ideas and information in image, GIF and video formats, on the other hand, Tumblr is a microblogging site where one can upload things that interest them including images, thoughts, etc.
Comparison Table Between Pinterest and Tumblr
|Parameter of Comparison||Tumblr|
|Founder and founding year||Pinterest was designed by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp in the year 2009.||Tumblr was designed by David Karp and was released in 2007.|
|What is it?||Pinterest is an American image sharing and social media platform owned by Pinterest Inc based in San Francisco.||Tumblr is an American microblogging and social network platform currently owned by Automattic.|
|User interface and user base||Pinterest has a blended user interface that is somewhat difficult to use and also provides no possibilities for customization. Pinterest is popular among creativity lovers especially females.||The user interface of Tumblr is easier to use and offers visual uniqueness and preference. Tumblr is more appealing to young college going students and passionate working people from ethnic backgrounds.|
|Type of content and Ways to use||Pinterest allows its user to post content either as an image or as a video. Pinterest has a Pin it button that lets its user to share the content.||Tumblr lets its users to post content in the form of text, image, audio, video, etc. Tumble provides all the options above the feeds through which one can edit and share the content.|
|Their aim and user statistics||The primary focus of Pinterest is to connect people from all over the world as mentioned on the about me page of Pinterest. Pinterest has over 400 million monthly users as of August 2020.||Tumblr aims at letting people share anything effortlessly and customize everything as they mention in their about me page.|
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is an American image sharing and social networking platform that enables its users to discover and save information in the form of images and videos.
Pinterest was developed and designed by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp and was released in 2009. It is owned by Pinterest Inc based in San Francisco.
Pinterest is also known as the visual search engine because of the format of its content. It consists mainly of pins and boards and a board is a collection of pins.
A person can follow boards and other users depending on which feeds are shown. It allows users to search content through images which is termed as visual search.
Pinterest allows a person to promote their businesses and also provides analytics into insights. It features tools that let a business account to gain more popularity.
Pinterest is currently available in iOS, Android and Windows 10 versions.
Pinterest has a strong user base with around 400 million monthly users and is particularly popular in creative users. Pinterest registers more females than males.
What is Tumblr?
Tumblr is also an American microblogging networking platform released in 2007.
It was developed by David Karp and is currently owned by Automattic. It has its headquarters in New York City, US.
Tumblr provides a dashboard to its users where one can view the posts by the accounts and users they follow.
Here a person can like, comment and reblog a post. It also allows tags so that the post can be found easily.
Tumblr hosts around 465 million users each day and is popular with young college students and working class people from ethnic backgrounds.
Tumble also faced some criticism in many countries due to its pornographic content with around 22% of the traffic being classified as pornography.
However, Tumblr later released features that block such content from the platform.
Main Differences Between Pinterest and Tumblr
- Pinterest and Tumblr both are American social networking platforms.
- Pinterest was released in the year 2009 whereas Tumblr made its debut in 2007.
- Pinterest is owned by Pinterest Inc based in San Francisco, on the other hand, Tumblr is currently owned by Automattic.
- Pinterest is a platform for sharing and saving images, videos and gifs whereas Tumblr is a platform for sharing images, audios, texts, videos, links and other types of content.
- The user interface of Pinterest is complicated and thus difficult to use whereas the user interface of Tumblr is easier to use and using it is often termed as ‘Tumbling‘.
- Pinterest has a pin and board options where one can save their images and videos whereas Tumblr provides all options above the feeds using which one can save and edit content.
- Pinterest focuses mainly on connecting people across the world whereas Tumblr focuses on sharing everything effortlessly and customizing everything.
- Pinterest has a user base of around 400 million monthly users whereas Tumblr hosts over 465 million users each day.
- Pinterest is particularly popular among creative users because of ideas available on it and in contrast, Tumblr is more popular in working classes and young students.
- Both the platforms are suitable for business purposes, however, the engagement rate is much higher on Pinterest.
Both the platforms have different features to offer to their users and are also coming up with new features every day to attract more users.
For choosing between the two platforms one has to consider their requirements and then getting registered on these platforms.
Tumblr due to its adult content was banned in some countries, pinterest was also banned in China but not due to the performance or content it has but was due to the administration of China.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|