Online platforms have been of great help to humankind in the past few years. They deliver convenience at our doorstep, as many would like to say.
Different platforms for different purposes help us through our daily life, like urgent grocery deliveries to fixing repaired objects at home ourselves.
Social media and online shopping have greatly benefited everyone, especially those who are exhausted after work. Some social media and online shopping platforms work hand in hand, like Pinterest and Etsy.
- Pinterest is a social media platform that allows users to discover and save images and videos related to their interests. At the same time, Etsy is an e-commerce platform that allows users to buy and sell handmade or vintage items.
- Pinterest is primarily used for inspiration and idea generation, while Etsy is used for buying and selling unique, handmade items.
- Pinterest is free to use and generates revenue through advertising, while Etsy charges a fee for sellers to list items and takes a commission on sales.
Pinterest vs Etsy
Pinterest is a visual bookmarking platform that allows users to save and organize images and videos, focusing more on discovery and inspiration. Etsy is an online marketplace that allows users to buy and sell handmade, vintage, and unique goods, primarily for e-commerce transactions and business.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Pinterest is the website used for posting posts related to different topics and articles. They are used as the main source of motivation and inspiration for everyone with the available topics on the platform.
Etsy is an online shopping website. They sell products like photographs, digital paintings and paintings. One can buy and sell through the same website with protected transaction details.
|Parameters of Comparison||Etsy|
|Meaning||It is an online platform for getting inspiration and motivation regarding various topics.||It is a platform for selling and buying things online.|
|Home feed||The home feed of Pinterest is usually filled with various pins, people and businesses according to your taste.||The home feed or the website’s main page has many different types of products to view and review for customers.|
|Profile||Creating and using this website is relatively easy, although it requires personal details like your email ID.||Registering and creating a profile in Etsy is similar to Pinterest, but they require your address for delivery and pick-up.|
|Business License||It is not necessary to have a license to view the posts and pins of any account.||Registering and creating a profile on Etsy is similar to Pinterest, but they require your address for delivery and pick-up.|
|Payments||Creating and using the website is free of cost. You can view anyone’s posts and pin them to your profile without paying.||For buying a product, the transactions are made directly to the seller. But the seller must pay 0.20 dollars and 5% of the transaction fee to the website.|
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is an American website that is used for image sharing and discovery. They have videos and images on various topics, from medical details to paintings and hairstyles.
According to sources, the development of the website began in December 2009, and the website was ready for launch on March 2010. Now, Pinterest also has an app as it has become a worldwide used social media.
This website is, in short, a ‘shopper’s catalogue’ as many entrepreneurs use this website to show their products and propagate them to Pinterest users. So Pinterest users can also be called buyers.
They also have separate promotion pins for products on sale at other websites. One’s favourite post or promotion pin can be pinned for later reference.
What is Etsy?
Etsy is also an American website but an e-commerce platform used to sell handicrafts and vintage goods. These need not be showpieces but can range from small paintings and cups to wooden cupboards and similar furniture.
This site was first launched by Iospace in 2005. The initial website had a timeline of two months for development, and the latest website version was made in 2010. In its first year as an official website, it garnered much attention.
It is a platform used for connecting sellers and interested buyers for the products being displayed. The transaction is made through the website, and per order, 0.20 dollars and an additional 5% of the transaction are to be paid to the website.
Recently, it also introduced a ‘risk-free advertising’ programme. Usually, the sellers were required to advertise their products through social media accounts.
Main Differences Between Pinterest and Etsy
- Pinterest is an online platform for inspiration and motivation in different fields, like painting and cooking. Whereas Etsy is also an online platform, it is used for selling and buying products posted on the website.
- The home feed or the main webpage of the website is filled with pins, people and businesses that you have previously been interested in when using Pinterest. The posts are not up for sale. But since Etsy is a retail website, the home feed is filled with products and articles you would like to buy.
- Creating a profile is comparatively easy on both websites. The difference is that Pinterest only asks for personal details related to one’s email id and other online profiles. But Etsy asks for bank account details to facilitate payments and transactions.
- One doesn’t need a business license to own Pinterest because no products are for sale. Though one can propagate their business through the website, one cannot make transactions through the website. Though having a business license to own an account on Etsy is unnecessary, once you start selling products, it is better to get one. This is if you want your transactions to be legal.
- There are no payments or transactions made through Pinterest. It is purely a website used for showcasing one’s talents or for others to browse topics that interest them. On the other hand, Etsy is an online retail shop where the buyers have to transact with the seller. But the seller is required to pay 0.20 dollars and 5 % of the transaction to the website.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.