Instruments produce various tones and pitches of sound depending on the vibrations provided and the surface on which the vibration is caused.
Instrumental music can be calming like the flute or bass-filled and fueling like electric guitars.
Stringed instruments make a sound when vibrations are produced on strings attached to a surface.
A few examples of stringed instruments are violin, veena, guitar, and ukulele.
Many confuse a guitar for a ukulele since their appearance is similar.
- Guitar and ukulele are both stringed instruments, but the guitar is larger and has more strings than the ukulele.
- Guitars have a wider range of notes and can be used for various musical genres, while ukuleles have a distinct sound and are associated with Hawaiian music.
- Playing the guitar requires more finger strength and dexterity than the ukulele, which is considered easier to learn and play.
Guitar vs Ukulele
Guitars are versatile instruments in various genres and can be amplified for performances. The ukulele is a smaller instrument with four strings associated with Hawaiian music. It has become increasingly popular in recent years and is available in different sizes, each with a unique sound.
The guitar is a stringed instrument that produces different tones of music. They are one of the most commonly used and learned instruments worldwide.
They also have many types like acoustic, bass, and electric guitar. Guitars were first made in Spain.
Ukulele is also a stringed instrument with an appearance similar to a guitar.
But they are smaller in size and have only four strings. So they can cover notes of range C4 to A5 only. They are used for referring to Hawaiian music.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Guitars are bigger than a ukulele and have a size of approximately 24-25 inches.
|Their size varies from 13 5/8 to 20 1/8 inches.
|Number of strings
|Generally, guitars have 6 strings.
|Ukulele has only 4 strings.
|Type of string
|Acoustic guitars prefer nylon strings, but all others have metallic strings.
|Ukulele players prefer to have only nylon strings.
|They cover a wide range of notes as they have 6 strings.
|With 4 strings, they can only cover the notes from C4 to A5.
|They have a loud and bass sound. But this also depends on the type of guitar.
|The ukulele produces a melodic, bright, and rhythmic sound.
|Guitars are expensive
|Ukuleles are affordable and cheaper than guitars.
What is Guitar?
A guitar is a stringed instrument that has a Spanish origin.
They can make many genres of sounds, like bass, rock, pop, metal, etc. Mainly there are two types of guitars, electric and acoustic.
But acoustic guitars are further divided into three types. These three types are classical, steel-string and archtop.
They have six strings and, therefore, can cover higher ranges. The electric guitar can even go to note C#5.
They have an average of 23-24 inches in length. They produce loud and bass-filled sounds that can be tuned depending on the guitar type.
They are expensive. Though the general style to play is by plucking the string with the right hand, many other styles have evolved over the years.
What is Ukulele?
A ukulele is a string instrument like a guitar first made in Hawaii.
Therefore, the sound produced by a ukulele is referred to as Hawaiian music. Though smaller than a guitar, they are still types of ukuleles based on their size, sound and strings.
The four types of ukulele are soprano, concerto, tenor and baritone.
The average size of a ukulele is 13 5/8 to 20 1/8 inches long. They have 4 or 8 strings but are commonly found with 4 strings.
These four strings cannot account for many notes; therefore, a ukulele has restricted notes from C4 to A5.
The instrument’s small body size is why it produces melodic, soft and bright sounds.
A ukulele is made of wood. But it is affordable. The soundhole of the instrument lies off-centre.
It is played by plucking strings with the right hand, whereas the left presses the frets.
Main Differences Between Guitar and Ukulele
- Though they are both string instruments, guitars are larger than a ukulele. Guitars, on average, have a size of approximately 24-25 inches. On the other hand, the ukulele’s size varies from 13 5/8 inches to 20 1/8 inches. This is much smaller than the average size of a guitar.
- Generally, guitars are seen to have six strings, and each string gives a particular tone and pitch. But in the case of the ukulele, they have only four strings, so their pitch and tone are restricted compared to a guitar.
- There are various types of guitars and ukuleles, and the players prefer certain types of strings. Acoustic guitars are preferred to have nylon strings, whereas the other types of guitars are preferred to have metallic strings for the strong bass. Ukulele has nylon strings, and no other strings are preferred for it.
- Since the number of strings is different for the two, the notes covered by the two are also different. Guitars have a higher note range than a ukulele. A ukulele with only four strings can only cover notes from C4 to A5.
- Since the size of the two instruments is different, the sound quality also differs. Guitars, having a larger hollow volume, give loud and bass sounds. But this sound also depends on the guitar’s size, type, and string. Ukulele, on the other hand, produces melodic and bright beats.
- Guitars are expensive. Ukulele is affordable and cheaper than guitars.
Last Updated : July 13th, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.