In ancient times, it was necessary for the ones ruling the kingdom to stand apart from the common people for being recognized as their leader. This started with them being referred to as the royals and being adorned with various rare and precious jewel stones.
Crowns are a major part of their identity. The ruling king and the queen had an ornamented crown atop their head to signify their power. While most kingdoms tended to use a tiara for the queen, the kingdoms that used crowns were also there. But is there a difference between the king and queen crown?
King Crown vs Queen Crown
The difference between King Crown and Queen Crown is that the king crown is called the imperial crown and the top is single rounded dome-shaped whereas the queen crown is called the royal crown and is uniquely curved at the top, instead f having a dome structure.
The king crown is made of 2-carat gold and 50 pearls lining the crown. They have eight loops rising from the base of the crown that meets at the top to form a dome shape. They are the material used is usually purple velvety cloth with other precious gemstones like topaz, amethyst and tourmaline.
The queen crown is made of silver with gold gildings, unlike the king crown. They also have different gemstones ornamenting the crown and is also made on a purple velvety cloth. They have 153 pearls lining the crown and the eight loops that rise from the base of the queen crown.
Comparison Table Between King Crown and Queen Crown
|Parameters of Comparison||King Crown||Queen Crown|
|Referred to as||Imperial crown||Royal crown|
|Material||20 carat gold with pearls and other assorted stones like amethyst and topaz.||Silver with gold gildings and settings. They also have 153 pearls lining the crown and other assorted gemstones like the king crown.|
|Centre stone||Green tourmaline||Large amethyst|
|Arches||The arches of a kings’ crown rise to the centre||The queens’ crown has depressed arches unlike the king crown|
|Design on top||They have a single rounded dome shape on the top since the eight loops meet at the top||The queen crown has a unique curved top on the crown.|
What is King Crown?
The king crown, also called as the imperial crown, is the crown adorned by the king of a kingdom to show the monarchial power that he holds over the region. They are made from purple velvety cloth and 20-carat gold.
They have 50 pearls adorning along with the crown and other distinct gemstones. The design of a king crown is also unique. They have eight loops forming at the base of the crown that meets at the centre. The centre is adorned with blue enamel and gold stars.
The centre stone of a king crown is the green tourmaline. But it also has a cross of six amethyst stones. Four of the eight loops are curved like oak leaves.
The dimensions of a king crown are 26.5 cm in height and 20 cm in diameter. They approximately weigh 1500 grams.
What is Queen Crown?
The queen crown, also called the royal crown, is the crown adorned by the queen of the kingdom. Though in most of the kingdoms only the king is seen to have and yield the power, in other regions the queen also has the same power. Example: the United Kingdom.
The queen crown is made of silver with gold gildings and has 153 pearls along with the linings of the loops formed by the crown. They also have eight loops starting at the base of a purple velvety material that meets at the top. The queen crown is also adorned with various gemstones like emerald and topaz.
The centre stone of the queen crown is a large amethyst. They form depressed arches and have a unique curved top instead of the dome-like structure of the king crown.
The dimensions of a queen crown are 17.5 cm in height and 14.5 cm diameter. Because of their reduced dimensions, they also weigh much less than a king crown, approximately 550 grams only.
Main Difference Between King Crown and Queen Crown
- A king crown is called an imperial crown but the queen crown is known as a royal crown.
- A king crown is made with 20-carat gold with 50 pearls along with other assorted gemstones like amethyst and topaz lining the crown. A queen crown on the other hand is made of silver with gold gildings. Though the queen crown also has pearls, they have 153 pearls lining the crown unlike the 50 on a king crown. They are also designed with various assorted gemstones.
- They are both made of purple velvety material but the centre stone for a king crown is the green tourmaline whereas the one for queen crown is a large amethyst.
- The crowns have a different overall design even though look similar at a glance. The arches of a king crown are seen to be rising to the centre as they are formed by eight loops rising from the base of the crown. Even though the queen crown also has eight loops rising from the base, the arches formed are depressed and not risen.
- The top of the crown when seen carefully is also different. The king crown has a single rounded dome shape at the top where the eight loops meet. But the queen crown has a unique curved top instead because of the depressed arches.
The crowns used may be different for each kingdom but have the same basic structure. But the king and the queen crown vary to show the dominance of the king over the queen.
The king crown is 26.6 cm in height and has a diameter of 20 cm. They are made from purple velvety material along with 20-carat gold and gemstones.
The queen crown is 17.5 cm in height and has a diameter of 14.5 cm. Though they are also made of many precious stones, they weigh only 550 grams because of the reduced dimensions.
The difference between the two crowns is marked by their difference in structure.