The Domain name and Web-hosting go well together; one cannot operate without the other. Since both are operated similarly, it does not mean they are the same thing.
People often get confused with these two words and their meanings too.
Some famous web-hosting services like Godaddy or Bigrock provide their users with their domain names. The domain name is owned by people who are into online businesses, blogging, freelancing, content writing, etc.
- A domain name is a unique address that identifies a website on the internet, while web hosting is a service that provides storage space and access to web pages and files.
- Domain names are used to access websites and can be purchased and registered from domain registrars, while web hosting companies provide web hosting.
- Domain names and web hosting are both essential components of a website, and they work together to ensure that the website is accessible and functional on the internet.
Domain Name vs Web Hosting
A domain name is a unique address that identifies a website online. A web hosting service is a platform that provides the storage space and tools necessary to store and manage website files, databases, and other content and is where a website is stored and accessed by users.
Well, web hosting, on the other hand, is a place where all your website files are kept. In other words, we can say that web hosting is like the home of your website where the files live.
But, the question again arises what is the difference between the two?
|Parameters of Comparison||Domain Name||Web-Hosting|
|Meaning||A domain name is a name that gives the identification of a website.||As the name suggests, it means hosting a website. Web hosting helps make the files available for viewing.|
|Purpose||Domain name recognizes internet resources such as computers, networks, and services.||Web Hosting gives you the option to publish your website on the internet.|
|Examples||Facebook’s domain name will be Facebook.com||Shared hosting, VPS hosting, and WordPress hosting are some examples.|
|User-Friendly||Easy to manage and renew||Easy to manage and renew|
|Transfer||Domain names can be transferred||You can transfer your new web hosting account via FTP (File Transfer Protocol).|
What is Domain Name?
The simple definition of ‘domain name’ is the address of your website that the users type in the URL bar to visit the particular website. In simple words, we can understand with a simple example: if your website were a house, its address would be your domain name.
Now, most people get confused about what a domain name is. So, there is nothing to be confused about because the domain name is completely different from web hosting.
You might notice on the internet everything that has a .com extension, in the end, is a domain name.
One of the examples I have mentioned above already. Say we take Facebook, where Facebook’s domain name is Facebook.com.
The .com after the word ‘Facebook’ implies the domain name of Facebook.
Now, here it is for beginners who do not know how to purchase a domain name. A domain name registrar can purchase a domain name.
Some of the most popular domain name registrars are Godaddy, Namecheap, Bigrock, and many others. Godaddy web hosting company will give you a free domain name, so you can now check how it works.
What is Web-Hosting?
In simple words, let me explain what Web-hosting is: it is the place where the files of your website live. In other words, it is like your website’s home, as I have mentioned earlier.
A domain name is the address of your house, and the web hosting is the house the address directs to.
For people who have a question about whether we need a web hosting service or not? The answer is YES! because all websites need the web-hosting service.
Well, bloggers who use blogger.com can understand what a domain name is and how it works. When a user enters a domain name in a browser, the domain name entered is then interpreted into an IP address.
The computer that contains your website’s files is then sent to a user’s browser.
You can try a web-hosting free service in Godaddy itself. It is the most used application for entrepreneurs who wants to build up a business online.
Well, if you do not want to opt for Godaddy, there are alternatives too. Some are Inmotion Hosting, Hostinger, Cloudways, Hostgator, and Bluehost.
However, purchasing a web host is not always necessary; it all depends upon the uses of the users.
Main Differences Between Domain Name and Web-Hosting
- A Domain name is the address of your website that someone types in the URL bar, whereas a web-hosting is where all your files live. In other words, it is the home of your files.
- Web hosting is where the files are stored physically, and a domain name is the address of the location of that file.
- One cannot create a website without purchasing a domain name until and unless you do it for free, though you can have a domain name even without creating a website.
- However, to build your own website, you will need to create a domain name and web hosting account.
- Since the two functions differ, one can purchase domain names and web hosting from two companies. But then, you will need to make sure that you point your domain name to the web hosting company.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.