In many respects, new virtual assistant technology has captivated the entire globe. Google Assistant and Microsoft Cortana are two of the most well-known virtual assistants.
While Cortana is firmly integrated with the Microsoft ecosystem and performs admirably on Windows, Google Assistant appears to work well across various systems. Because it interfaces with a range of other Google services, Google Assistant has a distinct benefit.
It also outperforms Cortana when it comes to prediction and search-based queries. On the other hand, Cortana isn’t far behind; it can compete with Google.
- Google Assistant is a virtual assistant developed by Google that uses AI to answer questions and perform tasks, while Cortana is a similar virtual assistant developed by Microsoft.
- Google Assistant is available on Android devices and various Google products, whereas Cortana is integrated with Windows devices and Microsoft services.
- Both virtual assistants can set reminders, answer questions, and control smart home devices, but each is tailored to its respective ecosystem.
Google Assistant vs Cortana
Google Assistant is a virtual assistant that has a strong integration with Google’s search technology because Google develops it. This makes its predictive abilities and internet search-based queries better. Cortana is a virtual assistant that uses the Bing search engine and is developed by Microsoft.
Google Assistant initiates voice commands and searches once you speak the “OK Google” wake phrase, allowing you to do several activities. It may be used for many things, like controlling your smart home and devices, controlling your music, setting reminders to help you stay on track, playing video games, and more.
Cortana’s emphasis distinguishes it from other voice-activated AI assistants. Cortana helps Microsoft 365 users track, organize, and manage their everyday work by connecting them to every piece of their product suites.
It works on Skype, Xbox One console, and Windows 10.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Google Assistant enables voice commands and voice searches after uttering the “OK Google” wake phrases, allowing you to execute several activities such as controlling your smart home and devices, controlling your music, and more.
|Cortana is a voice-activated virtual assistant from Microsoft that helps users with tasks, requests, and completion in Windows 10 and Xbox. You can use it to set a reminder, schedule a meeting, search the internet, find answers to questions, manage your responsibilities, and much more.
|Google Assistant is available on all Android devices, including Nvidia Shield, WearOS, Android TV, iOS platforms, Windows or Linux, and automobiles with Android Auto functionality.
|Skype, Xbox One console, Windows 10, and Windows Mixed Reality devices are all compatible with Cortana.
|When it comes to responding to the user’s requests, Google Assistant is faster and more reliable than Cortana.
|When it comes to responding to the user’s requests, Cortana is much slower and less reliable than Google Assistant.
|Google Assistant uses Google’s Google search engine to perform searches and respond to information requests.
|Cortana utilizes Microsoft’s Bing search engine to search and reply to information requests.
|Because of its excellent connection with Google’s search technologies, Google Assistant still outperforms Cortana in predicting ability and shines in internet search-based questions.
|Cortana falls short of Google Assistant in terms of predicting abilities.
|Google Assistant was launched on 18 May 2016.
|Cortana was founded on 2 April 2014.
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is one of the more popular virtual assistants. It was announced in May 2016 at Google I/O.
The goal was to create a “conversational” environment to have a natural conversation with your phone. It was built into Android 7 (Nougat).
You can access Google Assistant by pressing and holding the home button or saying “OK, Google” on your Pixel phone. You can also access it using the “Hey Google” on any device running Android 5 (Lollipop) or higher or on the Google Home smart speaker.
Google Assistant is a virtual assistant that initiates voice commands and allows you to do several activities. It is used on the Google Pixel and Google Home smart speakers. You can ask it questions, tell it to do things, and control your smart home devices.
Google Assistant can help you with many basic tasks like setting reminders, sending text messages, making reservations, and even searching for information. For example, you can say, “Hey Google, what’s the weather?” to get a quick update on the day’s forecast.
You can also use it for more advanced tasks like managing your calendar, setting alarms and timers, or converting common measurements. It also has some practical uses, like helping you find your phone if it gets lost.
Google Assistant is available on select devices such as smartphones (Android 5.0+), Google Home (US only), Android Wear 2.0 devices (Android 4.3+), Android TV (Android 6.0+). You can activate Google Assistant on your smartphone or an Android TV.
Depending on the device, you’ll have to tap or say “OK Google” to initiate voice commands.
What is Cortana?
Cortana is a feature of Microsoft 365 that was initially introduced as an assistant in Windows 10 but has since been extended to include all other Microsoft products. Cortana has evolved into a personal assistant that can help users track, organize and manage their everyday work by connecting them to every piece of their product suites.
It’s easy to use Cortana as your assistant.
Cortana is an intelligent personal assistant from Microsoft that can help you manage, organize and complete your tasks through voice commands or text input. Cortana was first launched as a mobile app for Windows Phone 8.1 in 2014 and later became available on iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices.
Since then, Microsoft has integrated this advanced AI technology into many products such as Bing search, Windows 10, Office 365 suite, and even the Xbox One gaming console.
Cortana helps companies handle their operations by providing them with a personalized experience for their customers. By integrating Cortana with these popular products, companies can offer a seamless user experience by giving their customers access to the information they need at the right time.
Microsoft’s digital assistant, Cortana, is now available with Office 365 and Azure. This new addition to the intelligent cloud will help you manage your schedule, track your activities and get things done more efficiently.
Main Differences Between Google Assistant and Cortana
- When responding to user requests, Google Assistant is faster and more dependable than Cortana. Still, Cortana is far slower and less reliable than Google Assistant when responding to user demands.
- Google Assistant is accessible on all Android devices, including the Nvidia Shield, WearOS, Android TV, iOS platforms, Windows or Linux, and autos equipped with Android Auto. On the other hand, Skype, the Xbox One console, Windows 10, and Windows Mixed Reality devices are all compatible with Cortana.
- Google Assistant allows you to control your smart home and devices, control your music, and more after saying the “OK Google” wake phrases. On the other hand, Cortana is a voice-activated virtual assistant from Microsoft that assists users with tasks, requests, and completion in Windows 10 and Xbox. You may use it to plan a meeting, search the internet, discover answers to queries, manage your obligations, and much more.
- Google Assistant still excels in Cortana regarding prediction ability and shines in internet search-based inquiries because of its good connection with Google’s search capabilities. However, Cortana falls short of Google Assistant in terms of prediction abilities.
- Google Assistant debuted on 18 May 2016, whereas Cortana debuted on 2 April 2014.
- Google Assistant uses Google’s search engine to conduct and respond to information requests, whereas Cortana uses Microsoft’s Bing search engine to conduct searches and respond to information requests.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.