Microsoft first launched a follow-up IntelliMouse in 2017, known as Classic IntelliMouse, and then released a more enhanced version in 2019, Pro IntelliMouse.
They have separate sensors that set them apart in terms of operating resolutions, but both have similar designs, staying true to the original IntelliMouse series, released in 1999.
- The Classic IntelliMouse features a retro design reminiscent of the original, whereas the Pro IntelliMouse has a more modern, ergonomic design.
- The Pro IntelliMouse offers customizable DPI settings and a higher maximum DPI, providing better precision and responsiveness than the Classic IntelliMouse.
- Both models feature customizable buttons and BlueTrack technology, but the Pro IntelliMouse has an improved braided cable for increased durability.
Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse vs Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse
The Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse features a classic design with a silver scroll wheel and red tail light. Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse has a modern design with a black scroll wheel and white tail light. The Pro IntelliMouse also features customizable buttons and a higher-resolution sensor for greater accuracy.
The Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse is the enhanced version of its predecessor, i.e., the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. It has a simple, industrial look while being modern.
It has 70-gram Omron switches on its buttons to provide very aesthetic sounds for your experience. It has an operating resolution of about 3200 DPI.
On the other hand, the Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse is the more advanced and latest version of the IntelliMouse series provided by Microsoft.
It has a sleek design with a small LED light strip present at the front. It has the PixArt PAW 3389 sensor, which helps give it excellent tracking abilities. It has an operating resolution of up to 3200.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse
|Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse
|Advanced BlueTrack sensor
|PixArt PAW 3389 sensor
|Black and Grey
|Black, white, black-white, blue-grey, and blue-white.
What is Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse?
Microsoft came out with their Classic IntelliMouse, which was a remastered version of their IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, in 2017.
It has a similar size and shape as its predecessor. It has a 2.72 x 1.69 x 5.2 inches dimension and weighs about 3.53 oz.
Its exterior gives off a sleek look with a simpler industrial design. It has a distinctive red taillight which also has a diffuse white goal that disappears whenever the mouse is lifted for a more modern look.
The outer design remains smooth and comfortable to the touch.
The buttons are very aesthetically pleasing – both in visual and audio terms. They come with 70-gram Omron switches that provide very great click sounds.
Its scroll wheel comes with a highlight along with discrete steps. This helps in providing more tactile uses along with aural feedback.
It has an advanced Pixart PAW 3808EK BlueTrack sensor that is configurable between 400 and 3200 DPI.
Some of the customers have reported that there have been tracking issues during fast flicks when it is set at the low DPI settings. It has a 1000 Hz polling rate.
It is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and 8, and Windows 7. It has a right-handed orientation. It can connect to your devices with the help of a USB wire.
What is Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse?
The Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse is a computer that is both functional and ergonomic. Its interface is compliant with USB 2.0, and it has 5 buttons.
These buttons include 3 configurable buttons, left and right mouse clicks, and a scroll wheel.
The exterior of it is more on the minimalistic side, with two buttons that have been deliberately raised. They are coated in a material that’s rougher than the rest of the smooth body.
There is a small LED light strip at the front of it. This can be thought of as the mouse equivalent of keyboard backlighting. It has a tracking speed of up to 400 inches per second.
The Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse is an enhanced version also due to its newer PixArt PAW 3389 sensor, which gives it amazing tracking properties. This sensor allows an excellent resolution of up to 16,000 DPI.
The sensor makes it faster and highly precise while being perfectly equipped to tackle daily work tasks. Its dimensions are 5.20 x 2.72 x 1.68 inches.
It is compatible with Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, etc. It is more on the heavier side, coming in at 4.94 oz.
This mouse is an excellent choice for anyone who works on a computer for a length of time, whether it be for professional purposes like working or studies or for gaming purposes.
Main Differences Between Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse and Pro
- Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse was launched in 2017, whereas Pro IntelliMouse was launched in 2019.
- Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse has an operating resolution of 3200 dpi, and the operating resolution of Pro IntelliMouse of 16000 dpi.
- The dimensions of the Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse are 2.72 x 1.69 x 5.2 inches, and the dimensions of the Pro IntelliMouse are 5.2 x 1.69 x 2.72 inches which gives it a bigger span.
- Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse weighs 3.53 ounces, whereas Pro IntelliMouse is heavier in comparison by weighing around 4.94 ounces.
- Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse has an advanced BlueTrack sensor, and the Pro IntelliMouse has a PixArt PAW 3389 sensor.
- The colors available in Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse are black and grey. The colors available for Pro IntelliMouse are black, white, black-white, blue-white, and blue-grey.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.