The computer has now become the most essential part of the lives of individuals. And it runs and stores its information in the form of a database.
With the change in time, the requirements for the different and advanced features for the storage of data became necessary. Thus, to overcome this problem, a new relational database system was invented that was able to store more and more data.
Oracle 9i vs Oracle 10g
The difference between Oracle 9i and Oracle10g is that the software Oracle 9i is the one that was developed in the year 2001, and the features and added benefits provided by the software is somewhat less whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the software Oracle 10g was developed and released in the year 2003 and the features or the added benefits are quite more in this case.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Oracle 9i is one of the software developed by System Development Laboratories (SDL) and is the earlier version of the Oracle software.
It was released by the laboratory in the year 2001, and the three main components of the software that built it completely – database, application server, and developer suite. The prefix used in the term is the acronym for ‘internet ready’.
Oracle 10g is another software developed by the same company SDL and is the latest and upgraded version of the Oracle software.
The laboratory, or say, the company, released the software in the year 2003. Multiple advanced features have been attributed in the software version, making it a more preferred one for the developers.
|Parameters of Comparison||Oracle 9i||Oracle 10g|
|Prefix||Internet ready||Grid computing ready|
|Other features||Absent||Backup, flashback, recovery, and many other|
What is Oracle 9i?
Oracle 9i is one of the versions of the Oracle database that was built and developed by the Software Development Laboratories (SDL). There are many different versions of the software that are categorized by the alphanumeric system.
The software was developed and built in the year 2001.
The prefix used at the end of the software name has a particular meaning behind it, and it stands for the term ‘internet ready’.
The three basic components of the software that incorporate the complete software are – database, application server, and developer suite.
The Oracle 9i software is considered the early version of it. And thus so, the system management of the software is difficult and is less required. Although there are no additional features of the software.
The varied features of the software have been enlisted below and are –
- Improved security
- While data is loaded, the new feature compresses the different keys
- Automated DBA
- Java JDK 1.3
- Local tables on the system are managed locally
- XML database support
- Replication feature
- Data sharing feature
- Data Guard and enhancement
What is Oracle 10g?
Oracle 10g is another software that is released by the same company as Oracle 9i that is SDL, and the same company was established in the year 1977.
The different version of the core software Oracle has many versions and sub-versions. And the Oracle 10g is among the latest and the most upgraded version of the software.
The software was released two years after the release of Oracle 9i that was in 2003. In the name of the software, the prefix is used ‘g’ as the acronym for the term ‘grid computing ready’.
The management of the above software is quite easier, and the requirement of the system is more.
The varied features attributed in the latest version of the Oracle 10g software are given below –
- Managing the storage
- System files can be moved
- Transparent Session Migration
- Fast connection failover
- Integrated Cluster-ware can be managed
- Enables network support of high-speed InfiniBand
Main Differences Between Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
- The software Oracle 9i was released and developed in the year 2001, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the software Oracle 10g was released and developed in the year 2003.
- The prefix used at the end of the software name ‘i’ is for the internet ready while comparatively, on the other hand, the prefix used at the end of the Oracle 10g software is for the grid computer ready.
- The Oracle 9i software is considered as the lower version of the database while comparatively, on the other hand, the Oracle 10g software is the better version with necessary upgrades and improvements.
- The features listed in the Oracle 9i are quite less while comparatively, on the other hand, the features enlisted by the Oracle 10g are high-end and advanced.
- The managing of the Oracle 9i software is a bit difficult, while comparatively, on the other hand, Oracle 10g is relatably easier to handle or manage.
- System requirements for the Oracle 9i are less, while on the other hand, the system requirements are more in the case of Oracle 10g software.
- The added features are mainly absent in the case of Oracle 9i, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the added features offered by the Oracle 10g software are backup, flashback, recovery, and many others.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.