With the rapid increase in smart home accessories, smart doorbells too emerged as part of the family. Bringing in additional security with live video interaction, motion sensors, theft alerts, and two-way communication, these smart doorbells make our life smooth and simple.
- Ring Video Doorbell is a product by Ring, while Nest Hello is a doorbell camera created by Google Nest.
- Both doorbells offer HD video, two-way audio communication, and motion detection, but Nest Hello provides 24/7 video recording with a subscription.
- Ring Video Doorbell is compatible with a wider range of devices and platforms, while Nest Hello integrates seamlessly with Google Assistant and other products.
Ring Video Doorbell vs Nest
The difference between Ring and Nest lies in their distinctive physical design. Google’s Nest doorbell is a long oval-shaped smart bell, whereas Amazon-owned Ring is rather chunky and rectangular.
The Ring doorbell is the smart doorbell from Amazon. It comes with various features like an HD camera which provides 1080p recording, two-way audio, motion Detection, and mobile access. Ring provides many options to the customer, starting from Ring doorbell, Ring doorbell pro, Ring doorbell wired to Ring doorbell (2020 release) with improved audio-video quality and a better approach to near motion one detection.
The Nest doorbell is the smart doorbell from Google, also known as Nest Hello. It comes with an RGB light ring with a video aspect ratio of 4:3. With a high-quality speaker and microphone, it has 8 high-powered infrared LEDs (850nm), providing better night vision.
|Parameters of Comparison||Ring Video Doorbell||Nest|
|Colour||The Ring Video Doorbells are available in only one single colour, i.e. Nest Black.||The Nest Video Doorbell is available in a variety of elegant colours.|
|Size||It measures about 5.1 x 2.5 x 1.1 inches||It measures about 4.6 x 1.7-inch x 1.0 inches|
|Price||Ring Video Doorbell is less expensive.||Nest Video Doorbell is comparatively costly.|
|Video Quality||It has video quality of 1920 x 1080, HDR||It has a video quality of 1600 x 1200, HDR|
|Package Detection||The Ring Video Doorbell has no package detection facility.||Nest Video Doorbells have a package detection facility.|
|Power||It has both battery and wired power connection variants.||It has only a wired power connection variant.|
|Field of View||The Ring Video Doorbell has 160 degrees vertical, 84 degrees horizontal field of view.||The Nest Video Doorbell has 96 degrees vertical, 128 degrees horizontal field of view.|
What is Ring Video Doorbell?
The Ring Video Doorbell is a smart home doorbell brought to us by Amazon. The Ring Doorbell detects and captures the video of motion within 30 feet, sending rapid notifications to the device owner.
Measuring 4.98 x 2.43 inches, it works on any home and can be easily connected to your Wi-Fi. It comes with both a Wired and battery power connection. It requires low voltage to operate than the other power source supplies.
Amazon’s Ring provides various models to customers, which include the Ring Doorbell wired, Ring Doorbell pro-2, Ring Doorbell 3, Ring Doorbell 4, Ring Doorbell Elite, and Ring video doorbell (2nd generation). Apart from the night vision, certain products have colour night vision which creates a false colour image from the light available from the surroundings.
What is Nest?
The Nest Doorbell launched by Google in 2018 is a sleek-looking smart video doorbell providing robust features. The doorbell detects and captures the video motion within 30-40 feet.
Measuring 4.6 x 1.7 inches, it works only with a wired power connection. It works with most low voltage, but the voltage differs according to the region. It comes with 14 to 30 V AC (North America) and 10.8 o 30 V AC (Europe).
Google’s Nest doorbell, also known as the Nest Hello, was the only single model launched by Google. Not only did Nest Hello coordinate well with Google Assistant and Alexa, but they have also worked well in conjunction with other Nest cameras and products.
Main Differences Between Ring Video Doorbell and Nest
- The Ring Video Doorbell by Amazon is low priced, whereas Google’s Nest Hello is way more expensive.
- The Ring Video Doorbell has no package detection system, whereas Google’s Nest Hello provides an inbuilt package detection system that sends notifications to the owner when detected.
- The Ring Video Doorbell offers more flexible variants to choose from. The Nest offers only a single product, i.e., the Nest Hello.
- The Ring Video Doorbell has improved video recording of 1920 x 1080 HDR, whereas the Nest Hello has 1600 x 1200 HDR.
- The Ring Video Doorbell has free access to the event history and can be accessed by the owner anytime, whereas the Nest Hello has a monthly fee subscription system that provides storage in the cloud, and then the owner can access the event history videos.
- The Ring Video Doorbell has a wide field of view that is 160 degrees vertical and 84 degrees horizontal, whereas the Nest Doorbell has a field view of 96 degrees vertical and 128 degrees horizontal.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.