Technology is applying scientific theories for practical purposes, like in industries. It is the knowledge of techniques and processes that can be embodied in machines for carrying out certain operations or to know about the system’s workings.
As we know, need is the mother of invention; similarly, we can consider engineering as the mother of technology when the knowledge of science gained by study, experience, and practice is applied to create something useful for the benefit of mankind.
Technology can often be confused with engineering as they are closely related. Schools that teach engineering are called ‘Schools of Technology,’ after all.
These may make us question the terms and their true meanings.
- Technology encompasses the tools, systems, and methods used to accomplish tasks or solve problems, often resulting from scientific knowledge and innovation.
- Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, systems, and processes.
- While technology and engineering involve problem-solving and innovation, engineering focuses on the practical application of science and math. In contrast, technology refers to the broader range of tools and methods used in various fields.
Technology vs. Engineering
Technology is the tools, techniques, and processes used to create, maintain, and improve products, services, and systems. Engineering is a specialized field that involves designing, analyzing, and constructing complex systems and products. It encompasses a variety of sub-disciplines.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameters of Comparison||Technology||Engineering|
|Input||Using knowledge and raw materials to make something innovative for the society.||The study of scientific applications to make new inventions for society.|
|Output||Devices around us, like our mobile phones, laptops, air conditioner, etc., are all technology products.||Engineering provides us with an understanding of combining knowledge and resources to create new technology.|
|Orientation||Technology is more action-based.||Engineering is more knowledge-based.|
|Raw materials required||Knowledge and its application.||Technology already exists in addition to other raw materials for making the product.|
|Production||Technology is produced in masses as it has already been tried and tested.||It cannot be produced in large numbers as it creates a trial product. If the trial is successful, more of the same products are manufactured, and it becomes technology.|
|Reliability||More reliable as it has already been tested.||Less reliable as it is manufactured on a trial basis.|
What is Technology?
Technology is the application of knowledge and making a new product. It has been around since prehistoric times when cavemen started building fires.
In modern times, it can be seen in the development of touch-screen phones, the internet, and several other things. Technology not only makes our life easier but has several other uses.
It helps build the economy of countries, and some of the strongest countries in the world are where they are because of technological advancements. Technology can be considered as a boon or a bane.
While it has many advantages, it also has several disadvantages. Pollution is a leading by-product of technology, and it has seriously affected the environment.
Aside from adversely affecting the environment, technology has also affected humans. Technology has made things so easy for us nowadays that it is hard for us to be as productive as we used to be.
The invention of social media plays a large part in it.
What is Engineering?
Engineering is studying the sciences and applying its principles to make new technology. While engineering can be considered as a question, like how to build a time machine.
Technology can be considered as the answer. Existing technology is often used to engineer more products.
Engineering uses one’s mind and efforts to create something new.
The engineering field is vast and has several areas like mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc. The Eiffel Tower, the pyramids of Egypt, and the Parthenon are all examples of impressive feats of engineering in our history.
This shows how engineering has been around since the foundation of the world. Engineers can be considered as the architects of technology.
They draw up complex plans that must be implemented to create something new and useful. Engineering is what gives birth to technology.
Main Differences Between Technology and Engineering
- Technology is the product that is formed after engineering is completed. Engineering is using resources and knowledge to make new and improved products.
- Technology can be used countless times, while engineered products take time to be perfect and produced in large numbers.
- Technology is made by being action-oriented, while engineering is done by knowledge.
- The reliability of technology is more as it has been produced only after confirming that it is the best version of itself. Engineering is less reliable as it takes many tries to make a product accurate.
- Technology is mass-produced, while engineered products are not.
- Engineering is considered a field of study, while technology is the application of those studies.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.