What does the incomprehensible acronym TWS or Bluetooth mean in the description of the headphones? Are they wireless headphones? How are they different from each other?
Table of Contents
Bluetooth headsets have been increasingly popular in recent years, as most high-end smartphones have abandoned the 3.5mm audio port. But what about TWS? The different design leads to some peculiarities in operation. But first things first.
TWS vs Bluetooth
Bluetooth headphones have replaced conventional wired headphones. These models use Bluetooth wireless technology and are not connected to the playback device (player, smartphone, tablet, etc.) through a cable. But connected by a wire to each other. But in the era of wireless accessories, many people want to do away with wires and cables completely. So a new generation of completely wireless Bluetooth headphones was born.
On the other hand, TWS or True Wireless means “truly wireless” – these are small headphones that are not connected by cable and are powered by the charging case that comes with it. Many users today choose these models, and for good reason. However, due to the nature of the technology, TWS headphones are more demanding in operation than previous generations of Bluetooth accessories.
Comparison Table Between TWS and Bluetooth
|Parameters of Comparison||TWS||Bluetooth|
|Technology||Neither the individual earphones nor the media player is connected by a wire||To transmit audio signals, short-range radio waves are used.|
|Connection||TWS may pair through Bluetooth, radio waves, or infrared||Connect the left and right earbuds of an earphone using a wire|
|Range||TWS can reach heights of 300 feet or more||Have a limited range. Bluetooth headphones typically have a range of about 30 feet|
|Sound quality||the audio signal quality sounds different when using earmolds and in-canal models||RF allows for great audio transmission|
|Ease of use||perfect for people who prefer to switch tracks or answer phone calls on the go||works without a stationary transmitter|
What is TWS?
This is the new generation of fully wireless Bluetooth headphones. True Wireless Stereo (or TWS) translates to “true wireless stereo,” which are small headphones that are not connected by a cable and are charged by the special case that comes with the device.
Wireless stereo technology uses Bluetooth signals instead of wires or cables to transmit sound. TWS has led to products like the Airpods, which have been around since 2016. Thanks to this, dozens of manufacturers, with varying degrees of success, have quickly picked up the trend and made True Wireless one of the most popular formats of wearable headphones.
Although the audio signal sounds different when using earmolds and in-canal models, the ways of connection and operation are common. People switching to TWS systems should understand the following.
- During outdoor activities, caution is not superfluous, because the mini-touchpad is not easy to find if it gets lost.
- You will have to carry the case with you at all times.
- The battery needs to be charged every day.
TWS headphones are indispensable for people who prefer to switch tracks or answer phone calls on the go. Buying such a headset is the best way to increase comfort during workouts and while listening to music.
What is Bluetooth?
Bluetooth headphones can be connected to each other with a hoop or a wire. Bluetooth headphones are compatible with virtually any gadget. Many portable devices have a built-in Bluetooth module that transmits data to the headset. If necessary, you can install an external device. The Bluetooth headphone market is constantly expanding due to its mobility and convenience. With all the variety, manufacturers have to go to different tricks to attract attention to new models. It is quite difficult to seriously expand the functionality – it is already formed, so you have to work on the quality parameters.
This is the most modern and convenient option. At least because this type of wireless headphones works without a stationary transmitter and can communicate with any device that supports Bluetooth. However, the range of Bluetooth is also limited – about 10 meters, but the broadcast itself can not be intercepted due to the unique coding.
Main Differences Between TWS and Bluetooth
- Easy and convenient to use (TWS headphones quickly pair with devices).
- Freedom of movement without cable, allowing you to move around the city, go jogging or do sports exercises.
- Good connection over short distances (Bluetooth works up to 9 meters) and if you decide to do household chores, you can safely move around the room with the headphones.
- Excellent noise isolation, saving you from the noise of trains, neighbors’ repairs, or other external factors.
- A rechargeable battery case gives you several times longer battery life than traditional wireless headphones.
- Great autonomy, up to 7 or 10 hours on a single charge.
- The short wire does not interfere and does not cling to clothes.
- The headphones do not need to be specially paired with each other.
- Auto-connect. With this mode, the headphones will automatically connect to the device with which they were previously synchronized. To do this, both devices must be in range and Bluetooth is enabled on the phone.
- AutoPause. It often happens that the earpiece falls out of your ear, or you have to pull it out to hear something. It is not always convenient to pause a song or audiobook or you might not have time, but if this feature is provided, a special sensor will realize that the device is not in your ear and stop the playback itself.
Today, more than 65 percent of users prefer wireless headphones for their phones and player. It is very convenient: you can freely walk around the gym during training, and at home, you can use wireless headphones for TV without any problems moving around the apartment and enjoying the sound at the same time, connect the device to the player in the car and enjoy the music.
TWS headphones have recently gained the widest popularity. Probably the starting point can be considered the beginning of the pandemic when hundreds of millions of people moved to remote work, and many of them began to look for headphones to communicate with colleagues (and not only) via video.
Bluetooth headphones – Models that can communicate with devices equipped with a Bluetooth transmitter (e.g. smartphones or tablets). When selecting such headphones, it is worth paying attention to the support of modern codecs – the sound quality will directly depend on it.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️