When we talk about a healthy and nutrition-rich diet or meal, the one thing that is there most of the time is milk. In several countries, children from birth only intake milk as it is said to be the most suitable food for them, and after that also, milk is considered as one of the most important sources of nutrition. It is also important as most of the dairy products are made from it only.
The most common types of milk are cow milk and buffalo milk. Both of them are pretty similar in taste and color, but not the same. To understand them better, you should know the difference between them.
Cow Milk vs Buffalo Milk
The difference between Cow Milk and Buffalo Milk is that buffalo milk is much healthier than cow’s milk. They also have different levels of content in them, such as protein, calorie, water, and fat and preservation time. Buffalo milk is considered for making dairy products such as curd as it has a thick consistency.
Cow milk is the most common milk consumed on a daily basis. It has a thin consistency and is white in color, and this is due to the presence of more than 80 percent of water in it. This also means it fulfills the water requirement of the body. It is best recommended for people with heart-related problems and is easy to digest.
Buffalo milk is the most beneficial and healthiest milk. It is rich in fat, protein, and calorie, and much other nutrition. It is more recommended than cow milk for the healthy development of the body. It is not recommended for people suffering any heart-related problems.
Comparison Table Between Cow Milk and Buffalo Milk
|Parameters of Comparison||Cow Milk||Buffalo Milk|
|Fat content||The lower amount of fat||Higher fat content|
|Water||Have a high percentage of water||Very less water|
|Protein||Less amount of protein in comparison||Higher protein content.|
|Cholesterol||High is cholesterol||Low amount of cholesterol|
|Calorie||Fewer calories||High calories|
What is Cow Milk?
Cow milk is the healthiest source of nutrition and drink for the body. It has all the following benefits:
- Complete meal: as mentioned above, cow milk does not only have protein but also has other nutritious content in it. It gives enough strength to the body so that it can make a block of cells. It is a complete protein. It is also beneficial for making the immune system strong and repairing the damaged cells and tissues.
- Best for bones and muscles: it has a large amount of calcium in it, which is responsible for making the bones and muscles grow stronger. Drinking cow’s milk can be extremely beneficial for this.
- Improves brain health: cow’s milk contains vitamin B, Vitamin B12. Both of them are beneficial for calming the nerves down and improving memory power, respectively.
- Beneficial in weight loss: it is very helpful in increasing the body’s metabolism, and also when a person drinks cow’s milk, he does not feel hungry for a longer period of time. Therefore, it is helpful in weight loss as it has a high-fat content.
- Good for the heart: as it is rich in fats, calcium, and phosphorus, which is beneficial in maintaining elevated blood pressure, and also it has very little cholesterol in it, which is further good for the heart.
What is Buffalo Milk?
Buffalo milk is rich in more nutritious value than cow milk and has a thick consistency and yellowish appearance in color. When compared to cow milk, it has more health benefits such as:
- Heart health: it is high in calcium which is helpful in reducing the risk of hyperextension, ensuring the smooth flow of blood. Therefore it is good for the heart than most of the other types of milk.
- Bone strength: it has thick consistency due to the calcium and fat content in it. It also has copper, manganese, phosphorous, and zinc. All of these contribute to making the bone healthy and strong.
- Regulated blood pressure: buffalo milk has nutritions that are very helpful in regulating the blood pressure level in the body. For example, potassium.
- Source of protein: it is a great source of protein as it also has more protein than any other milk. This means that it keeps you satiate for a longer period, which is further helpful in losing weight.
- Boosts skin health: it contains antioxidants and vitamins, which are helpful in making the skin healthy.
Main Differences Between Cow Milk and Buffalo Milk
- Buffalo milk is relatively thicker inconsistency, and this is dues to its higher fat content. While cow milk is lower in fat content in comparison, it only has 3 to 4 percent of fat in it, while buffalo have 8 to 9 percent of fat in it.
- To be hydrated and have enough water in the body, cow milk is a better option than buffalo milk, as cow milk is made up of more than 80 percent of water.
- Buffalo being more heat resistant is not suitable for toddlers and older people. It also has more protein content in it. Cow milk contains 8 to 9 percent less protein than Buffalo milk.
- Cholesterol level is also different in both of the milk. Cow milk is rich in cholesterol levels and therefore is not prefer for people suffering from PCOD, hypertension, kidney problems, and obesity, and on the other hand, buffalo milk is less in cholesterol level.
- As mentioned above, buffalo milk is higher in protein which further makes it higher in calories than cow milk.
- Due to the presence of peroxidizing activity in buffalo milk, it can be preserved for a longer duration than cow milk which is to be consumed within 1 to 2 days.
- They also have different colors. Buffalo milk is whiter than cow’s milk which is slightly yellowish in color.
- Buffalo milk is best for a good sleep, while cow’s milk is better for sweets.
Milk is important as it contains protein, calcium, vitamins, etc., and except for the above, there is another variety or sources of milk too, such as soy milk, goat milk, coconut milk, sheep milk, hemp milk, and many more. All of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. But among them, all people still prefer cow and buffalo’s milk more, and this could be due to their perfect taste or may because they are more affordable. Although there are mostly benefits of them, they should be taken in excess as anything excesses in our body is not good.
There are also some people who do not intake milk or any dairy product due to any reason.