Laptops, or portable PCs, are essential to people’s lives, especially students and office workers. They come with different hardware and software specifications. Laptops are of various categories, such as Student laptops, Professional Laptops, and Gaming Laptops.
Gaming laptops are usually more expensive than normal laptops. The differences are in the hardware specifications and the form factors. Companies like MSI, Acer, Dell and Asus offer a variety of gaming laptops within different price ranges.
Two such gaming laptops are Dell G3 and Dell G5 gaming laptops from Dell. These laptops come with a display size of 15.60 inches with a 1920 x 1080 pixels display resolution. But, some differences set them apart from each other.
- Dell G3 is an entry-level gaming laptop with a lower price point, while Dell G5 is a mid-range gaming laptop with better hardware specifications and a higher price point.
- Dell G5 has a more powerful graphics card and processor than Dell G3, making it better suited for intensive gaming and other demanding applications.
- Dell G5 offers a better display with higher resolution and refresh rates compared to Dell G3, which can improve the overall gaming experience.
Dell G3 vs Dell G5
The Dell G3 is an entry-level gaming laptop with Intel Core i5 or i7 processors and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 or 1660 Ti graphics cards, but it lacks advanced features. The Dell G5 is a mid-range gaming laptop with Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, NVIDIA GeForce GTX or RTX graphics cards, and up to 32GB of RAM.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameter of Comparison||Dell G3||Dell G5|
|RAM||up to 8GB DDR4 of dedicated memory||up to 16GB DDR4 of dedicated memory|
|Storage||1TB HDD +256 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD||512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD|
|Processor||up to 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processors||up to AMD Ryzen 7 processors|
|Processor speed||2.6 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 5 GHz||2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.9 GHz|
|Graphics||Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB DDR6 dedicated graphical memory||AMD Radeon RX 5600M with 6GB DDR6 dedicated graphical memory|
|Battery Backup||up to 6 hours||up to 10 hours|
|Port Features||2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.2 (1st Gen), 1 x HDMI Port(v2.0), 3-in-1 card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)||2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.2 (1st Gen), 1x USB Type C, 1 x HDMI Port(v2.0), 3-in-1 card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)|
|Connectivity Features||IEEE 802.11ac (Wi-Fi v5.0), Bluetooth v5.0||Killer Wi-Fi 6.0, Bluetooth v5.0|
|Dimensions||256 x 366 x 22 mm||234 x 356 x 18 mm|
|Weight||2.3 kg||2.5 kg|
What is Dell G3?
Dell G3 is a high-end gaming laptop by Dell. It comes with up to 8GB of DDR4 memory and up to 10th gen IntelÒ Core i7 Octa-core processors, which is great, as it packs a great deal of processing speed and smoother multitasking performance, which can be observed while playing games or during photo or video editing. It was first introduced in April 2018.
The Dell G3 laptop is a good match for high-end specifications and a great form- factor. It sports a 15.6-inch full HD Anti-glare display with 1920 x 1080 pixels. It has a refresh rate of 120Hz, giving users an upper hand during gaming and rendering videos during editing.
The Dell G3 laptop has Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth v5.0, which means greater connectivity over a wider network range. It has a feature called Game Shift which improves the temperature maintenance of the laptop, eventually increasing performance.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Dell Gaming G3 15 3500 - 15.6 Inch FHD, Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD,...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||2019 Dell G3 Gaming Laptop Computer| 15.6" FHD Screen| 9th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-9300H up to...||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Dell G5?
The Dell G5 is an improved version of the Dell G3. It has more memory and better battery backup than the G3, which means better and smoother multitasking over longer periods. It was also introduced in April 2018, along with the G3.
The Dell G5 comes with 6 GB DDR6 of dedicated graphics memory, which means better picture quality and gaming performance. In addition to this, it also comes with 512GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe storage but no HDD storage.
The Dell G5 has a better form factor than the G3 due to its slightly lesser dimensions. It houses a USB Type C connectivity port and Wi-Fi v6.0 for better Wi-Fi coverage and network connectivity. This also means that this laptop is more expensive than the G3.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Dell G5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD 144 Hz Display, Intel Core i7-10750H Hexa-Core Processor Up to 5.0...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Dell 2021 G5 15 Gaming Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 15.6" Full...||Check Price on Amazon|
Main Differences Between Dell G3 and Dell G5
- The Dell G3 has up to 8 GB of DDR4 memory, while the G5 has up to 16 GB of DDR4 dedicated memory.
- The Dell G3 has a 1TB HDD and 256 GB of M.2 NVMe SSD storage. The Dell G5, however, doesn’t have an HDD storage drive. It has only 512 gigs of M.2 NVMe SSD storage.
- The Dell G3 houses 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processors, while the Dell G5 houses AMD Ryzen 7 processors.
- The Dell G3 has a processor speed of 2.6 GHz which can go up to 5 GHz with Turbo Boost. The Dell G5, however, has a processor speed of 2.9 GHz, which can go up to 4.9 GHz with Turbo Boost.
- The Dell G3 has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 with 4 GB GDDR6 of dedicated graphics memory. The Dell G5 goes up a notch with an AMD Radeon RX 5600M with 6 GB GDDR6 of dedicated graphics memory.
- The Dell G3 has a 6-hour battery backup. The Dell G5 has a 10-hour battery backup.
- The G5 also has an extra USB Type C port, which is absent in the G3.
- The Dell G5 is slightly heavier than the G3. The G3 weighs 2.3 kg, while the G5 weighs around 2.5 kg.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.