Airlines are also an important mode of transportation and a significant source of economic growth.
Air transportation contributes to the worldwide economy and gives connectivity to different places locally and internationally. It is also the fastest means of transport compared to other means of transportation.
Below are the two leading airlines Jet Airways and Indigo.
- Jet Airways was a full-service airline based in India that ceased operations in 2019, while IndiGo is a low-cost carrier still operating in India.
- Jet Airways offers premium services and amenities, while IndiGo focuses on affordability and cost-effective travel.
- IndiGo has a larger market share in India, while Jet Airways faced financial difficulties leading to its shutdown.
Jet Airways vs Indigo
Jet Airways was an Indian airline established in 1992, which suspended operations in 2019 due to financial difficulties. IndiGo was founded in 2006 and is currently the largest airline in India by market share. While both offered domestic and international flights, IndiGo has been more successful.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Jet Airways is an Indian airline in Delhi, India, founded by Naresh Goyal and the training and development centre in Mumbai, India. It is considered the second-largest airline in India in terms of customers and share values.
It travels to more than 76 destinations with over 630 flights daily. Jet Airways has more than 30k employees worldwide, which is increasing gradually.
Indigo, also known as Inter Globe Aviation, is an Indian airline founded by Rahul Bhatia, based in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. It is considered the most significant airways in India by the number of passengers carried and fleet size.
It is the biggest airline in Asia regarding plane fleet size and passenger size.
|Parameters of Comparison||Jet Airways||Indigo|
|Founder||Naresh Goyal||Rahul Bhatia|
|Primary hub||Mumbai||IGI Airport, Delhi|
|Livery||White and blue colour mixed with its symbol||White and blue color mixed with its symbol|
|Fleet size||The fleet size is 12||The fleet size is 282|
|Destinations||It travels to 74 destinations worldwide||It travels to 96 destinations worldwide|
What is Jet Airways?
Jet Airways is an Indian International airline based in Delhi and has a training and faculty centre in Mumbai. Its central hub is in Mumbai, India.
The Airways had a passenger market share of 21.2% in 2016. In the 2017-18 fiscal year, it earned 252 billion dollars.
The airline first became a limited corporation company in April 1992 and started as an air taxi operator in 1993. The operations began from the year 1995, and in the year 2004, they started their international flights to different destinations.
Air Sahara was a famous flight which made recognition among the people in 2005 and 2007.
Jet Airways started to lower the ticket fares to compete with the leading competitors, but this led to a decline in overall performance and financial losses.
This idea of Jet Airways failed severely and was brought to second place in October 2017, with a decline in (17.5%) passenger market share. The financial loss resulted in bankruptcy in the year 2019.
It stopped all operations in April 2019 but is now having a comeback and will restart operations by the initial 2022.
Benefits of Jet Airways:
- Jet Airways have full-service airlines, so it will be perfect for a last-minute plan as Jet Airlines will handle everything else.
- The facilities provided by Jet Airways like priority check-in, priority baggage at arrival, extra baggage, free selection of seats, etc. are incredible.
- Benefits of Jet Airways tier recognition card.
- Cheaper rates of business class seats as compared to any other airways.
- They provide free cancellation charges.
What is Indigo?
Indigo is considered the largest airline in India. Along with being the largest airway in India, it is also the sixth-largest transporter in Asia, with more than 6.5 crore passengers carried in the financial year 2018-2019.
The airline regulates flights to more than 96 destinations with a threshold of 1500 daily flights, 71 are domestic and 25 international flights.
Indigo Airways were founded by Rahul Bhatia and Rakesh Gangwal in 2006. Indigo has its fundamental hub at IGI Airport, Delhi. The first delivery began in July 2006 and started operating aircraft after a month.
The airline became the most significant Indian airway to carry a maximum number of passengers than others in 2012. The corporation was available to the public in November 2015.
Indigo is known for its on-time arrival. Since August 2016, it has grown from one plane to 282 aircraft today.
Indigo’s performance in passenger load factor, PAX, cash reserves, minimal debt, on-time performance, and other areas have made it quite impressive.
Indigo was widely seen as the true winner because of the Jet Airways debt issue; however, a considerable wind has blown against Indigo as well.
Benefits of Indigo Airlines
- Indigo Airways have a better on-time track record.
- They have more attractive flying times.
- Indigo has an extensive network of flights with several airports.
- Indigo has more food options but they are a little more expensive than others.
Main Differences Between Jet Airways and Indigo
- Jet Airways is the second-largest airline in India whereas Indigo is the largest airway in India.
- Jet Airways is founded by Naresh Goyal whereas Rahul Bhatia founded Indigo Airlines.
- Jet Airways has a fleet size of 12 while Indigo has a 282 fleet size.
- Jet Airways flies aircraft to 74 destinations, but Indigo Airlines fly aircraft to 96 destinations (including 71 domestic flights and 25 international).
- The livery of jet airways is of yellow and blue colour with plain white colour whereas Indigo is of blue and white colour with its symbol.
- The business class of jet airways is cheaper compared to Indigo Airlines.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.