Nintendo Wii U and Switch are video consoles designed by Nintendo, A multinational firm that produces and markets electronics. The video game company has its roots in Japan.
- The Wii U is primarily a home console, while the Switch is designed for handheld and console gaming.
- The Switch has a better battery life and more powerful hardware than the Wii U.
- The Switch offers a wider range of games, including many popular titles from previous Nintendo consoles, whereas the Wii U’s game library is more limited.
Nintendo Wii U vs Switch
Nintendo Wii U is a video game console launched in 2012 but discontinued in 2017 due to its poor battery life. It has an internal storage of 0.5GB. Nintendo Switch was launched in 2017 as a portable handheld device with a detachable controller called Joy. It has an internal storage space of 32 GB.
Nintendo Wii U is an eight-generation home video console launched in 2012. It is also known as the project cafe, and the production was terminated due to the reported complaints, low sales, and lack of good marketing.
The revision and enhancement of Wii U led to the birth of Switch, which came into the market in 2017. Refined, enhanced, yet retained concepts of Wii U made it a powerful and user-friendly console. Nintendo Switch system software is the operating system used in the development and working of the console.
|Parameter Of Comparison
|Nintendo Wii U
|It was launched in 2012, but the production was discontinued in 2017.
|It is the successor of Wii U and was launched in 2017 and is still actively present in the market.
|USB ports, internal storage, CPU speed
|It has 2 USB ports. The CPU speed is 1* 0.729 GHz and the internal storage of 0.5 GB.
|It has one USB port. The CPU speed is 4 * 2 GHz and has a higher internal storage of 32 GB.
|It is region restricted, and the game cannot be accessed across continents. It is not region-free.
|It has the privilege of access and enables players from different continents to play. It is region-free.
|It has a width of 17.2 cm, a height of 4.6 cm, and a length of 26.9 cm. It lacks an optical disc drive.
|It has a width of 173 mm, a height of 102 mm, and a length of 14 mm. It consists of an optical disc drive.
|Wii U’s major complaint from the users was the concise battery life. Though expensive, the short battery life was not an ideal feature, and it is one of the main reasons it was not a successful video console model.
|Its lithium-ion power of 3.7 W gives it higher battery life.
What is Nintendo Wii U?
It is the eighth-generation video game console, also known as the project cafe. It is the first model of the console designed and produced by Nintendo to support HD.
The processor speed and storage are much lesser than that of a Switch. The input controllers Wii U gamepad are some of the peripherals.
It was launched in the year 2012, and later due to customer discomfort and complaints about its short battery life, and high price, the sales were meagre, and they discontinued the production of Wii U in 2017. The difference between the console and a tablet wasn’t big enough. It wasn’t region-free.
What is Nintendo Switch?
It is the revised and modified version of the Nintendo Wii U. It has rectified the defects of the Wii U. It is a hybrid console, and it can be used in multiple ways according to the need and comfortability of the user.
It is portable and region-free. It possesses a wireless joystick and 3 USB ports.
Motion sensing technique enables the handheld style of the console. This eight-generation console operates on Nintendo Switch system software.
Main Differences Between Nintendo Wii U and Switch
- Wii U was introduced in 2012, and the model became extinct in 2017 due to its demerits. The switch was introduced in 2017 and survives the competition even today.
- Wii U has a very small internal storage space of 0.5 GB. The Two USB port device has a CPU with 1 * 0.729 GHz processor speed. The switch has a very high internal storage space of 32 GB.
- Wii U failed to address the region restriction. Users cannot play it on different continents. The Switch, however, fixed this by being region-free. It is a portable device.
- Wii U was expensive, yet the battery life was concise. With its Lithium-ion battery and power of 3.7, the Switch has better battery life.
- The Wii U has a dimension width of 17.2 cm, a height of 4.6 cm, and a length of 26.9 cm. On the other hand, Switch is much lighter and easily portable, with a dimension width of 173 mm, a height of 102 mm, and a length of 14 mm.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.