Python and PHP, the two most popular programming languages, are opposites for web development. When it comes to backend web development, Python and PHP are, without a doubt, the most popular languages to use.
Even though PHP powers over 80% of the web, Python has a slight advantage over PHP in several key areas.
Web development professionals across the globe utilize these two powerful high-level programming languages to get their work done. Even if you’re a tiny company, you’ll need a website and a mobile app, and both of them need backend programming, which is one of the most in-demand talents today.
- Python is a general-purpose programming language, while PHP is primarily used for web development.
- Python is easier to learn and use than PHP.
- Python is better for data analysis and scientific computing, while PHP is better for web development and server-side scripting.
Python vs PHP
Python is a high-level, interpreted language that emphasizes code readability and simplicity. It is widely used for web development and scientific computing. PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development. It is known for its ability to interact with databases and generate dynamic content on web pages.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Python is a dynamically semantic, interpreted, object-oriented high-level programming language. Combining its high-level data structures and dynamic typing/binding make this a great language for Rapid Application Development and as a scripting or glue language to link other languages and applications together.
Python’s straightforward syntax promotes readability, which saves money on software upkeep. PHP is a server-side programming language that may build static or dynamic websites and Web applications.
PHP is now known as the Hypertext Pre-processor instead of Personal Home Pages. PHP scripts can’t be understood on a server that doesn’t have PHP already installed.
Client PC PHP scripts can only be viewed via a web browser.
|Parameters Of Comparison||Python||PHP|
|Framework||Lesser framework||More framework than Python|
|Database Connectivity||Not as broad as PHP||Can access more than 30 different database|
|Key features||Dynamic coding and Quick development||Open source and constant upgrading|
|Readability||Python is more understandable than PHP owing to its well-structured syntax.||PHP is a well-documented language using a traditional method.|
|Syntax||A coding syntax that is simple to comprehend||Numerous naming conventions|
What is Python?
Python has several advantages over other object-oriented programming languages, such as Perl, including its simple syntax and readability. Because Python is portable, its statements may be interpreted by a wide range of operating systems, including UNIX, Mac OS, MS-DOS, OS/2, and several versions of Microsoft Windows 98.
Python is considered to be simple to learn and reasonably straightforward to use. Guido van Rossum, a former Netherlands resident and fan of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, developed Python.
The program’s source code is accessible for anybody to modify and reuse. There are a large number of people who utilize Python.
Python’s indenting of source statements helps with readability by indenting the code. Many system functions and libraries have interfaces in Python.
It has dynamic data types. It has ready-made classes. It’s extensible thanks to the C++ and C programming languages.
Microsoft’s Active Server Page (ASP) technology accepts Python as a scripting language. Python was used to create the scoreboard system at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
The popular Web application server Z Object Publishing Environment is also built in Python.
What is PHP?
Hypertext Preprocessor is a PHP abbreviation. PHP was created in 1995 by Apache project member Rasmus Lerdorf.
PHP was the personal home page of Rasmus Lerdorf. PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor was the abbreviation created by Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans.
PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor was the abbreviation created by Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans. We don’t need to build the code because of the Hypertext Preprocessor.
The request is sent to the server initially on every page request. Client browsers request HTML output from the server, which the server understands.
PHP is an object-oriented and procedural programming language. It is a scripting or programming language used on the server side, and it is extremely simple to learn.
Zeev and Andi added object-oriented support to PHP with version 5.0, released in 2004. Among its many helpful features are those that generate dynamic content for web pages, send an email, add or delete records in a database, gather form input, and manage cookies and sessions.
Because it’s free to download and use, this is the most popular tool for web developers today. PHP is database-friendly, enabling it to create, edit easily, and remove data inside a database.
Additionally, PHP can gather data from your forms, support cookies, encrypt data, and restrict user access. WordPress.com, Facebook.com, Wikipedia.org, Zoom.us, Microsoft.com, Canva.com, and Salesforce.com are just a few prominent websites that use PHP.
Main Differences Between Python and PHP
- Python allows functional programming, while PHP does not.
- Python’s generator function is called using a “yield” command. On the other hand, PHP does not support threads (concurrent programming).
- Python is a high-level scripting language that allows project- and procedure-oriented programming, effectively isolating a program’s functionality and splitting it into many sub-modules. On the other hand, PHP is object-oriented, which enables developers to organize many jobs into containers defined by PHP classes. PHP’s primary function on the Web is to facilitate interoperability with other resources.
- Python is a relative newcomer to the scene and is quickly establishing itself as a rising star in the world of CGI programming. Python has developed and matured over several years to become one of the most commonly used Web and system scripting languages. On the other hand, PHP is a relative newcomer to the Web-scripting landscape yet has existed for a long period. PHP is a much more capable language than when it was first introduced, yet it maintains the same extensible capabilities.
- Python-based software is often regarded as one of the safest and most secure available. However, PHP is not; its code requires extra security measures.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.