Off-roading is exciting and adventurous. It is equally important to choose the right off-roading vehicle.
While choosing such a vehicle, features like suspension, skid plates, tires of all-terrain, ground clearance, low range, and security options should be evaluated.
The two main off-road SUVs in the automobile market are the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler.
- The Toyota FJ Cruiser is a mid-size SUV produced from 2006 to 2014, while the Jeep Wrangler is a compact SUV that has been in production since 1986.
- The Toyota FJ Cruiser has a more modern and stylish design compared to the rugged and classic look of the Jeep Wrangler.
- The Jeep Wrangler has better off-road capabilities and is a popular choice among off-road enthusiasts, while the Toyota FJ Cruiser has a more comfortable and spacious interior.
Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Jeep Wrangler
The difference between the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler is that the Toyota FJ Cruiser is a retro-styled off-roader SUV manufactured by Toyota while Jeep Wrangler is a sophisticated and quirky-styled off-roader SUV manufactured by Jeep.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Toyota FJ cruiser does not have a lot of room but the boot and front area are spacious. The floor is high and the controls are big. The doors are small and hinged.
It provides free service for three years at an interval of 6-months. It has security features like six airbags, electronic stability, and a blind-spot monitor.
While Jeep Wrangler has a lot of cabin space. The luggage space is tiny. The SUV is quite heightened and allows the folding and removal of rear seats.
It has a responsive engine and gearbox. The security features are four airbags, a tire pressure monitor, a rear camera, and heated mirrors.
|Parameters of comparison||Toyota FJ Cruiser||Jeep Wrangler|
|Engine||V6 engine that supports 4 liters produces 260 hp at 5600 rpm||V6 engine that supports 3.6 liters produces 285 hp at 6400 rpm|
|Wheelbase||Shorter wheelbase of 105.9″||Longer wheelbase of 118.4″|
|Transmission||It comes with 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transmission||It comes with 6-speed manual and 8-speed automatic transmission|
|Design||Retro-inspired model; the front, rear, and boot area is spacious||Looks sophisticated; the front and rear area is moderately spacious and the boot area is tiny|
|Fuel efficiency||16 mpg in the city and 20 mpg in the highway||18 mpg in the city and 21 mpg in the highway|
What is Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Toyota FJ Cruiser is a mid-size SUV. It is manufactured by Toyota and was launched in 2006. It was designed was Jin Won Kim and Akio Nishimura.
It is available in two transmissions – a 5-speed automatic and a 6-speed manual. The engine V6 supports 4.0 liters of petrol.
It is a 5 – door SUV with a length of 185 inches, a width of 75 inches, and a height of 72 inches. To understand the exact size, the size is between Highlander and RAV4.
Hino Motors, a subsidiary of Toyota was the initial manufacturer of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. It is a retro-styled car and resembles like 2005 Mustang for Ford.
The FJ cruiser has a short wheelbase and arrangement of grille-headlight. It has three windshield wipers and provides huge coverage. To protect from side impact, it has a steel cover.
The elements provided in the FJ cruiser are ideal for off-roading. The controls are quite oversized to cater grip to gloved drivers.
The SUV has a powerful engine and can produce 239 hp at 5200 rpm of torque with single valve timing. It even has a side curtain and torso airbags and provides overall security.
The SUV was initially built for the market of North America but later sold globally.
The Toyota FJ Cruiser is available in four variants – TRD special edition, Trail Teams Special Edition, 2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition, and ARB Edition FJ Crawler.
What is Jeep Wrangler?
Jeep Wrangler is a mid-size compact SUV. It is manufactured by Jeep in 1986.
It has been produced by American Motors Corporation (AMC), Willys, and Kaiser-Jeep. It is considered a descendant model of the original military model.
The length of the SUV is 192 inches, width of 75 inches, and of heigh of 73 inches. Jeep Wrangler has a long wheelbase and four-door models.
It has four generations – YJ in 1987, TJ in 1996, JK in 2007, and JL in 2018. Jeep Wrangler is one of the best in its type.
It has been awarded as “Best Resale Value Award” in 2009 from Kelley Blue Book in the category of sport utility and even for a compact sport utility vehicle.
It has also been awarded the “4×4 of the Year Award” by Four magazine and Petersen’s 4-wheel and off-road award.
Jeep Wrangler has a record in the Guinness World Record for attaining the highest altitude. It has been named as the Most Iconic Cars of the Last 20 years with the least depreciation value after five years.
The Jeep Wrangler is also available in the electric variant. This variant provides a 64 km range before the start of the gas engine.
Main Differences Between Toyota FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler
- Toyota FJ cruiser has a ground clearance of 10.6 inches while Jeep Wrangler has a ground clearance of ground.
- Toyota FJ cruiser has the exhaust sits higher and can be driven in two feet deep water while Jeep Wrangler has the exhaust sits lower.
- Toyota FJ cruiser has more features for safety like head restraints and roof strength while Jeep Wrangler has moderate features for safety like small overlap front.
- The Toyota FJ Cruiser is available in four variants – TRD special edition, Trail Teams Special Edition, 2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition, and ARB Edition FJ Crawler while Jeep Wrangler is available in four generations – YJ in 1987, TJ in 1996, JK in 2007, and JL in 2018.
- The Toyota FJ cruiser is a tenth of a second faster than Jeep Wrangler as the FJ cruiser runs at 16.2 seconds at 84.4 mph while Wrangler runs at 16.1 seconds at 83.6 mph.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.