People listen to music that can help them escape reality in order to live a calm existence.
That’s why YouTube Music & Amazon Music was launched as an online music streaming platform; where people could listen to unlimited or trending songs, create a playlist/library according to the genres, and subscribe to premium plans for ad-free music.
- YouTube Music offers a wide range of music videos, while Amazon Music focuses on audio tracks and albums.
- Amazon Music integrates with Amazon’s ecosystem and provides access to Alexa voice control, while YouTube Music does not have a similar feature.
- YouTube Music has a free, ad-supported tier, while Amazon Music requires a subscription for ad-free access.
YouTube Music vs Amazon Music
The difference between YouTube Music and Amazon Music is that YouTube Music is a streaming service developed by YouTube, where one can download, watch and listen to high-quality music videos. Whereas, Amazon Music is also a streaming service developed by Amazon, where one can download and listen to high-quality music audios.
The widely-recognized and popular music streaming service, YouTube Music is a subsidiary of Google. It is developed by YouTube for its users to listen to myriad genres of music.
The service enables its user’s various options, such as listening to songs and watching music videos on YouTube based on genres, playlists, and recommendations.
Starting from having its eCommerce service, to OTT streaming, Amazon Music is a music streaming online service sponsored and developed by Amazon for its Amazon users.
It allows users to stream music from up to six devices at a time provided with a membership account. It supports Alexa and Amazon Echo.
|Parameters of Comparison
|It is a music streaming platform, where anyone who has a YouTube account can listen to songs from YouTube Music.
|It is an online streaming music platform, where only amazon prime account holders can access the songs of various artists
|YouTube Music was launched by Youtube itself on 12th November 2015.
|Amazon Music was launched on 25th September 2007 by Amazon developers.
|YouTube Music is available for 7 operating platforms
|Amazon music is accessible only for 9 operating systems.
|YouTube Music is globally operating, which is available in nearly 100+ countries all over the world.
|Amazon Music is serving only 48 countries
|Playlist and Library Limits
|YouTube Music allows only 5000 songs as its Playlist size limit and collects unlimited songs in the YouTube Music library
|Amazon music bestows limited playlist and library songs limit as the application is device-dependent.
What is YouTube Music?
YouTube developed a service namely YouTube Music that enables its users to listen to songs and watch music videos on YouTube.
The app, as well as service YouTube Music, was initially developed in October 2015, and subsequently displayed for users on 12th November of 2015.
Meanwhile, in 2018, YouTube Music was revamped with numerous dynamic factors, such as the design of search bar based on the lyrics and description, and not just the name of the music video.
In addition to it, YouTube Music also offers a premium tier, where users can listen to unlimited ad-free and noise-less music videos.
Nevertheless, free trials, introductory offers, and promotional pricing are available only for newly subscribed users to YouTube Red, Music Premium, YouTube Premium, and Google Play Music.
Originally, YouTube Music was an alias of Google Play Music, but it was shut down in December 2020, due to several issues. Speaking of its features, one can listen, watch, download music videos from any device.
Also, one can personalize their own playlists, discover music based on moods, artists, genres, and many more.
On the whole, YouTube renders over seventy million official songs, including live performances, covers, remixes, across thousands of genres and activities.
However, all these specifications are only applicable to those music videos that are available only on Youtube.
What is Amazon Music?
Amazon Music is one of the great burgeoning music streaming services among music lovers. It was launched on 25th September 2007.
And subsequently, a large number of independent labels as well as the four major labels (EMI, Universal, Warner, and Sony BMG) music content have been sold by Amazon Music without digital rights management.
In September 2019, Amazon introduced a new launch named Amazon Music HD, bringing in the highest-quality music audios to Amazon listeners.
Amazon Music renders millions of podcast and station episodes, besides providing seventy-five million music songs.
However, one can listen to unlimited and ad-free music only with either an Unlimited or a Prime membership.
Furthermore, Amazon Music is available for over forty-eight countries across the globe.
The service is available for users with smartphones, tablets, PC/Mac, Fire TVs, and Alexa-enabled devices like Amazon Echo.
The catalogs feature unlimited music audios based on recommendations, latest hits, trending hits, genres, and many more.
In a nutshell, it has a range of plans, including the free version known as Amazon Prime Music.
Besides, it is followed by other paid services, namely, Amazon Music Unlimited, Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan, Single Device Plan, Student Plan, HD plan, Family Plan and so on.
Main Differences Between YouTube Music and Amazon Music
- YouTube Music is an online streaming music platform or application that can be accessible to anyone who has a Google account. Whereas, Amazon Music, is also a music streaming platform, which is available only for amazon prime video subscribers.
- YouTube Music was developed by YouTube, a subsidiary of Google Play Music in 2015. On the other hand, Amazon Music was launched by Amazon in 2007.
- YouTube Music runs in Android, iOS, Google Home, Sonos, Android TV, Web and Android Auto. But, Amazon Music is available in Windows, macOS, iOS, tvOS, Android, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Echo, HTML5, and Fire OS.
- YoutTube Music couldn’t support Alexa, whereas Amazon Music and Alexa are interlinked applications.
- YouTube offers only one plan that is Youtube Premium, where users can listen to music unlimitedly without any advertisements. Nevertheless, Amazon Music bestows numerous subscription plans for users such as Amazon Music Unlimited, Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan, Amazon Music Unlimited Single Device Plan, Amazon Music Unlimited Student Plan, Amazon Music Unlimited HD Plan, and Unlimited Family Plan
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.