Zion National Park and Yellowstone are both wildlife parks located in the United States. They are very popular, being home to many popular sights. Each one possesses particular activities to entertain the guests of the park.
One thing to remember while going to either of the parks is to check for the timings and making reservations, or otherwise, without knowing these details, a trip could easily become a hassle.
Also, one should be prepared with enough water and medicines while visiting the parks as the activities include going to higher altitudes.
- Yellowstone National Park is in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, while Zion National Park is in Utah.
- Yellowstone National Park has a larger area and is home to more wildlife than Zion National Park.
- Zion National Park has more hiking opportunities and offers unique experiences like canyoneering, while Yellowstone National Park is known for its geothermal features like geysers and hot springs.
Zion National Park vs Yellowstone
Zion National Park is located in southern Utah and is known for its unique rock formations and towering sandstone cliffs. Yellowstone National Park is located primarily in Wyoming, covers over 2 million acres, and is known for its geothermal features, including the famous Old Faithful geyser.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Zion National Park is a national park where a large number of wild animals, plants inhabitant. The person can use a lot of features provided by the park, for example, their famous Zion Canyon, mountains, rivers, types of hills, etc.
Yellowstone is a national park located in the United States that is spread from Wyoming to Montana and Idaho. It is famous for being the first National park to be opened to the general public and has many activities to be done by the visitors.
|Parameters of Comparison||Zion National Park||Yellowstone|
|Year of establishment||November 19, 1919||March 1, 1872|
|Area||146,597 acres||2,219,791 acres|
|Elevation||Between 4000 to 6500 feet||Between 7000 to 8000 feet|
|Climate||Dry, hot||Warm, cool|
|Features||Hiking, visiting canyons, mountains, etc.||Having one of the largest supervolcanoes, Having America’s largest buffalo herd, etc.|
|Known for||Zion Canyon, Horse Ranch Mountain. etc.||Geysers like Old Faithful geyser, hot springs, etc.|
What is Zion National Park?
Zion National Park is a park that is located in the state of Utah, United States. The place is filled with many species of flora and fauna. The park has hills, rivers, mountains, and other activities to offer. The hills on the park provide the hiker with breathtaking views.
The park was called Mukuntuweap National Monument earlier, and the name we know the place from today, Zion National Park, was named in the year 1919. It was Utah’s first national park and include a lot of activities like hiking, sightseeing, and other refreshing activities
Summer and Fall are the main periods that the park is visited. Even though the elevation is not much according to the other parks, the highest elevation is 7,810 feet that one can get to from the West Temple located in the Kolob Canyons.
For accommodations, the place has a couple of campgrounds. It is famous for its places for hiking. The trails are very diverse, with different miles and types of treks.
What is Yellowstone?
Yellowstone is a National park that consists of various activities like sightseeing, hiking, camping, fishing, etc. It is said to be the world’s first national park and is the first national part of the USA.
The documentation for the park was signed by then USA president Ulysses S. Grant on March 1 in 1872. The park’s area is so big that the tours made usually last for a couple of days.
It is very large and thus is mainly around Wyoming but also touching two other states, which are Idaho and Montana, respectively. Aside from activities, they provide accommodations like housing, sit-down restaurants, etc. They also have the option of getting a private tour that includes some parts of the park.
Yellowstone is even a good place for activities even in the offseason since they provide many activities like E-Bike Tours, Safari hiking tours, etc., that can be done almost any time. The park is on top of a dormant volcano and is most famous for the Old Faithful geyser, one of the most visited geysers in the USA.
Main Differences Between Zion National Park and Yellowstone
- Zion National Park has the opening season in cool and warm temperatures. Yellowstone is visited by people in hot temperatures, mainly in the hottest months like June and July.
- Yellowstone has been opened for the public for a longer period of time as opposed to Zion National Park, which officially opened in the year 1919. Yellowstone opened in 1872 and is the first national park of not only the United States but of the world.
- Zion National Park is quite small in terms of the geographical area if compared to Yellowstone. Yellowstone’s size is 2,219,791 acres, while Zion National Park is only 146,597 acres in comparison.
- The elevation of the parks is different as well. Zion National park is around 4000 to 6500 feet in terms of average height above sea level, while Yellowstone has a much higher elevation in comparison to the former. The elevation comes to be 8000 feet for Yellowstone.
- Both of the parks are located in different states of the United States. Zion National Park is located in the city of Utah, while Yellowstone is spread around three states.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.