E-commerce has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. It has increased the shopping experience for customers as people have a wide range of options to choose from according to their needs and preferences in the comfort of their homes.
Two popular and preferred online retail companies are Amazon and Flipkart. Although both these companies offer similar products and services, there are a few criteria under which they can be differentiated.
- Amazon is a global e-commerce platform headquartered in the United States, serving customers worldwide; Flipkart is an Indian e-commerce company catering primarily to customers in India.
- Amazon offers a broader range of products and services, including web services, entertainment, and devices; Flipkart focuses mainly on e-commerce, with a smaller range of additional assistance.
- Amazon operates with a vast international logistics network; Flipkart’s logistics network is primarily concentrated within India.
Amazon vs. Flipkart
Amazon is a global cyber business which offers convenience to global customers for online purchase and selling of products while sitting at home. Flipkart is an Indian universal cyber business platform which provides convenience of shopping and selling products for luxury to basic items
Amazon is a multinational technology company Jeff Bezos established in 1994 in Seattle, Washington. It was primarily an online bookselling company but eventually ventured into many new products and services in different arenas.
Flipkart is a Singaporean e-commerce company established by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal in 2007 in Bangalore, Karnataka. In its initial days, Flipkart started as an online bookselling company but eventually ventured into several other products and services to cater to the users’ needs.
|Parameter of Comparison
|Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal
|July 5, 1994
|Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
|Karnataka, Bangalore, India
|It is a publicly listed company
|It is a privately listed company
|Amazon is available all over the world
|It is available only in India
|Comparison of products
|Comparison of products cannot be made
|Comparison of products can be made
|US $ 280.522 billion ( 2019 )
|US $ 6.1 billion ( 2019 )
What is Amazon?
Amazon is an American multinational technology company. It is an e-commerce platform based in Seattle, Washington, founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994.
Amazon is among the big five companies in the U.S. information technology industry. The company initially started as an online bookselling company, but eventually, it has drastically expanded and now sells electronics, software, video games, apparel, furniture, food, toys, jewelry, and many more.
Amazon is currently the world’s largest e-commerce company and the most valuable company. Amazon allows downloading and streaming videos, music, and audiobooks via prime video, amazon music, twitch, and Audible subsidiaries.
Over 40 subsidiaries are owned by Amazon, which the users can choose from according to their needs and requirement. Amazon also has a publishing forum, amazon publishing, a film and television studio on Amazon Studio, and a cloud computing subsidiary, amazon web series.
Amazon also produces consumer electronics such as Kindle, fire tablet, fire TV, and Echo devices. For a few countries, Amazon has a special retail website and provides international shipping for a few of its products.
The Amazon website was visited by 615 million users annually in 2008; however, in 2016, 130 million users visited the U.S. website each month. A huge amount has been invested by Amazon in its server capacity for its website, as there is too much traffic causing the server to crash.
What is Flipkart?
Flipkart is a Singaporean e-commerce company. It was founded in the year 2007 by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal. The headquarters of the company is located in Bangalore, Karnataka.
Initially, the company started as an online bookselling company but later ventured into selling several other products, such as electronics, apparel, home essentials, groceries, and lifestyle. In March 2017, Flipkart held 39.5% of the market shares in India’s e-commerce industry.
Flipkart has a superior position in the apparel section, giving tough competition to fellow company Myntra. In August 2018, 81% of stakes in Flipkart were owned by U.S.-based retail chain Walmart.
The company was valued at $20 billion. Walmart bought the stakes for $16 billion. The subsidiaries of Flipkart that the users can enjoy according to preference are Myntra, jabong.com, phone, Ekart, and 2gud.
Flipkart is an Indian company that does not ship its products outside India. It is majorly based in India.
Main Differences Between Amazon and Flipkart
- Jeff Bezos founded Amazon, whereas Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal founded Flipkart.
- Amazon was founded in the year 1994, whereas Flipkart was founded in the year 2007.
- Amazon has its headquarters in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., whereas Flipkart is in Karnataka, Bangalore.
- Amazon is a publicly listed company, whereas Flipkart is a privately listed company.
- Amazon is available all over the world. And certain products can be shipped internationally. Flipkart is an India-based company; hence it is only exclusively available in India shipping across India does not happen.
- On the Amazon website, products cannot be compared for easy accessibility. On the Flipkart website, products can be compared, which makes it easier for users to choose from.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.