When it comes to the best antivirus software in the world, Bitdefender is among the top antivirus programs you may choose from. After all, AV-Comparatives Test named it the finest detection engine.
Thus, when you require superior protection from additional dangers like spyware, spam, social media privacy, web security, etc. in addition to common viruses, it’s one of the solutions that is worth banking on.
This antivirus software was manufactured by a Romanian cybersecurity technology company founded in 2001, headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, with offices in the United States, Europe, Australia and the Middle East.
The security software is available in two variations: Bitdefender Antivirus Free and Bitdefender Paid Antivirus, which is the base model. The latter of these is the premium edition, with prices starting at USD 19.95 for a license for a single device.
Like the majority of antivirus programs, these ones offer both free and paid versions of their security software. Similar to other software, Bitdefender has both a free and a premium edition.
- Bitdefender Free offers basic antivirus protection, while Bitdefender Paid provides advanced features like a firewall, parental controls, and ransomware protection.
- Bitdefender Paid allows users to protect multiple devices, whereas Bitdefender Free covers only one device.
- Bitdefender Free is more suitable for individuals seeking essential protection, while Bitdefender Paid caters to users who require comprehensive security solutions.
Bitdefender Free vs Paid
Bitdefender free is a primary version that provides basic security and antivirus, scanning, malware security, has no advanced features. Bitdefender paid is a comprehensive security provider, from malware, online threats, safe browsing, extra privacy, parental control, and many security tools.
|Parameters of Comparison||Bitdefender Free||Bitdefender Paid|
|Features||Access to limited features||Provides access to unlimited features|
|User||A single user only||Multi-device subscription plans. A single Bitdefender subscription can support 10 to 15 devices.|
|Compatibility||Compatible for with Windows only||Compatible across all major system|
|Protection||Lacks important protections like a firewall, ransomware protection, and a secure web browser||Provides full protection and secure web browser.|
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
What is Bitdefender Free?
Bitdefender Free Edition is a compact antivirus program with important protection tools. Although the commercial version has more sophisticated features in comparison, the free edition provides sufficient protection to get going for typical users.
It may be installed on a Windows computer, a MacBook, and even an Android or iOS smartphone. Therefore, you will receive free protection on all devices, regardless of the platform you are using.
Additionally, the free edition has behavioral detection to carefully watch over your running apps. When the app immediately recognizes and stops any suspicious activity, an alarm is given.
It also has a strong scan engine for real-time malware detection and removal, including for viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits, and other threats.
Furthermore, Bitdefender provides you with this capability in its free edition to enable you to browse freely and protect your credentials. It disables standard phishing websites that impersonate legitimate websites but are actually created to steal your information.
Additionally, it has a database of dubious websites that, when visitors visit one, its sophisticated screening system warns them. It is a crucial feature because fraudulent websites feed on your financial information.
In addition to these key capabilities, the Bitdefender Free Edition does a good job of covering the fundamentals. For instance, On-demand & On-Access virus scanning performs thorough scans in the background with minimal impact on your computer’s performance.
The features list shows that Bitdefender Free Edition provides all the necessary capabilities you require to protect your PC from the most frequent security threats.
What is Bitdefender Paid?
The cheapest Paid Bitdefender plan is this one. It provides all the features of the Free Edition in addition to a few extras. There is a plan one step higher, though, that gives even more features; we’ll get to it in a moment.
Antivirus Plus can connect to more than three devices and has some fantastic new capabilities when compared to the Free Edition, which supports all of its functions.
It is equipped with a network threat security function and a cyber threat intelligence technology to examine questionable network-level activity. which hinders advanced exploits, malicious URLs, and brute force assaults. Another innovation, multi-layer ransomware protection, provides many levels of ransomware defense to prevent file encryption.
Likewise, a sophisticated feature that restarts your computer in a Rescue Environment for cleaning and restoration without interfering with your active session. It is helpful for PCs infected with viruses like rootkits that require a restart for a full cleanup.
The Autopilot is another tool that serves as a security adviser. When activated, it checks your system for vulnerabilities and provides information on how secure it is. After that, you can take into account the suggestions to improve system security.
In addition, the Bitdefender VPN, a premium version of Bitdefender, has a built-in VPN client to assist you in safeguarding your online identity. However, the 200 MB daily limit per device is imposed, which may be a little too restrictive for certain users.
Main Differences Between Bitdefender Free and Paid
- Bitdefender Free Antivirus is only compatible with Windows and only provides minimal protection against common viruses and harmful websites. On the other hand, Bitdefender Paid Antivirus delivers superior defense against all threats, protects your online privacy without slowing down your system, and is compatible with all popular operating systems.
- The Bitdefender Paid can be installed on three or five devices depending on the plan, making configuration on multiple devices easy. Whereas, the Bitdefender free only works for one device.
- The Bitdefender Premium or paid has a built-in VPN client to assist you in safeguarding your online identity but the Bitdefender doesn’t have that feature.
- Unlike the Free version, with the paid version you get advanced ransomware protection, parental control, privacy control with Microphone Monitor and Webcam Protection, and more.
- The Bitdefender Antivirus Free gives you free access provided by the free version. Whereas the paid version demands some certain fee to have access to its unlimited features.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.