Navigating in an unfamiliar place has become an easy task after the invention of the Geographical Positioning System or GPS.
Today, various applications allow you to locate your destination. The two most common navigating apps are Google Maps and Apple Maps.
- Google Maps provides more detailed and accurate information due to its extensive database, whereas Apple Maps has less comprehensive data.
- Google Maps offers a better Street View feature, enabling users to view images of locations, while Apple Maps uses the Flyover feature for 3D aerial views.
- Apple Maps prioritizes user privacy, whereas Google Maps collects more user data for targeted advertising.
Google Maps vs Apple Maps
Google Maps is a web service that provides directions of geographical regions and sites worldwide by using real-time traffic information. It can be used on every device, including Android, Windows, and Apple devices. Apple maps is a web mapping service limited to use on Apple devices.
Google Maps is a mapping service provided by Google. It has all the benefits of a traditional map along with additive information like real-time traffic conditions.
It is also possible to find the best route depending on which mode of transport you are using, i.e. foot, car, bike or air.
Apple Maps are used by people for navigation and information-gathering purposes. Essentially, Apple Maps are a service provided by Apple which has all the benefits of a traditional map with extra advantages.
Also, Siri, Apple’s assistant software, is integrated with Apple Maps to provide a classy experience to the users.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Developed & owned by
|8 February 2005
|11 June 2012
|Only Apple products (iOS, macOS, watchOS)
|Uses more data
|Uses less data
|Big and flashy icons and text
|Small and aesthetic text and icons
What is Google Maps?
As the name says is, Google Maps is a mapping service that provides users with every advantage a map has and more. Google Maps are used by more than one billion people every month.
Also, more than 5 million websites and apps use Google Maps API to embed it in their services.
The technology Google Maps uses today was initially developed by Lars and Jens Rasmussen, Noel Gordon, and Stephen Ma of Where 2 Technologies.
In October 2004, Google acquired Where 2 Technologies, and then what we know as Google Maps today was born. Google also bought Keyhole, a geospatial data visualization company, in the same month.
This company later became Google Earth and most of its technology was integrated into Google Maps.
Google Maps were publically announced on 8 February 2005 on the Google Blog. Since then, there have been further developments and more features have been added to Google Maps.
You can find the best route, select your stops, search about a place and navigate through a city using Google Maps. The voice assistant built inside Google Maps alerts you about turns and gives other updates.
You can also get a 360-degree panoramic view of the streets and check the real-time status of the traffic.
What is Apple Maps?
Developed by Apple Inc. solely for its products, Apple Maps is a navigation and exploring service. Essentially, it works just like a map but with added features that make the traditional map look a bit dumb.
Apple Maps are only compatible with iPadOS, iOS 6 or later, watchOS and macOS.
Before Apple Maps were launched, Apple devices used Google Maps. But on 11 June 2012, when Apple officially declared the launch of Apple Maps, it also announced that Apple Maps will be replacing Google Maps on their devices.
However, Apple CEO Tim Cook later apologized for this decision because Apple Maps didn’t stand up to Google Maps which resulted in heavy criticism for Apple.
Apple learned from its mistakes and extensively developed and added more features to Apple Maps. Now, Apple Maps offer Augmented Reality (AR) enhanced directions.
Also, it optimizes routes according to the weather and warns users of the same. It also offers a 3D view with a high-detailed map and many other features.
Moreover, Apple Maps are highly focused on privacy and therefore very little data is stored on the servers. Most of the data remains in your device and gets reset regularly to prevent any exploitation.
Main Differences Between Google Maps and Apple Maps
- Google Maps are created and owned by Google LLC whereas Apple Maps are trademarked property of Apple Incorporated.
- Google Maps were launched on the Google Blog in 2005. On the other hand, Apple announced Apple Maps at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in 2012.
- Google Maps use more data than Apple Maps because Apple Maps uses vector graphics.
- Google Maps are compatible and available for all devices and there is a web version too which can be accessed by any web browser. On the other hand, Apple Maps are specifically built for Apple products like iPhone, Mac, iPad, and Apple Watch.
- Google Maps use big and colorful icons for an eye-catchy interface whereas Apple Maps use small icons for an aesthetic and elegant look.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.