In the world, time is one of the valuable commodities which fails to reclaim after spending it. That’s why everyone is in a constant rush to reach their destination.
Table of Contents
Finding the best and the shortest route from source to destination can be tough at the time. Now, the map comes to the role.
Thanks to the GPS, which has solved the problem of outdoor computing quite successfully. Nowadays, personal smartphones turned into portable navigating devices due to our reliance on GPS navigation a lot.
When it comes to applications, Google Maps and Waze are two of them. In this article, Google Maps and Waze difference is highlighted.
Google Maps vs Waze
The main difference between Google Maps and Waze is their ease of route. Google Maps offers logical suggested and alternative routes without sacrificing time. On the other hand, in time crunch Waze can be helpful, but its emphasis on speed can make route harder and unpleasant to navigate.
In addition to route planning and real-time traffic updates, it offers POI search, street maps, geocoding, 360-degree panoramic Street View, satellite imagery, navigation information, and many more.
It is a solution of full navigation, which makes traveling manageable. It offers users a convenient and friendly navigable experience to be in the desired location in no time.
Waze is the start-up of an Israeli-based which is navigation and traffic app made for tablets and smartphones. It offers turn by turn information with the user-submitted route and travel time details.
It offers carpooling options that see drivers and riders being connected without any disruption on the same route.
Comparison Table Between Google Maps and Waze
|Parameters of Comparison||Google Maps||Waze|
|Interpretation||It is the world’s navigation app of go-to that is more data-based compared to community-based.||It is a navigation and traffic community-based app owned by Google.|
|Introduced||In February 2005||In January 2009|
|Advertising||Does not have||Have|
|Availability||Available offline||Requires a data connection|
|Interface||Traditional navigation interface||The minimal and sleek interface offered using the latest in design language|
What is Google Maps?
Google Maps is a consumer application as well as web mapping platform offered by Google.
It offers aerial photography, satellite imagery, real-time traffic conditions, Street View, and route planning for traveling by bike, foot, air, car, and public transportation.
When it comes to registration, it was optional and included with a Google account. Google Maps began at Where 2 Technologies by brothers Jens and Lars Rasmussen as a C++ desktop program.
The company was acquired by Google which turned it into a web application in October 2004.
In 2005, Google Maps was finally introduced after the additional acquisition of a real-time traffic analyzer and geospatial data visualization company.
In September 2008, Google Maps for iOS and Android devices was released and features navigation of GPS turn by turn.
The ANSTO in 2005 complained about the terrorist potential in planning attacks by using satellite images with particular reference to the nuclear reactor of Lucas Heights.
However, the Australian federal government fails to support the concern of organizations.
What is Waze?
Waze is a Google subsidiary that offers satellite navigation software.
It offers information on turn-by-turn navigation and user-submitted route details and travel times while downloading information of location-dependent over a mobile telephone network.
It works in computers that support GPS like smartphones.
The Waze software was manufactured by the Israeli company, namely Waze Mobile. It was founded by Amir Shinar, Uri Levine, and Ehud Shabtai.
It collects travel time, traffic information, and map data from users and further transmits it to the server of Waze.
Users of Waze can report traffic jams, police traps, speed, and accidents, and with the help of an online map editor, it can update landmarks, roads, etc.
It sends anonymous information including users’ location and speeds back to its database for improving the service as a whole.
Concerns have been mentioned that the smartphone’s located app can be used to recognize movements by identifiable individuals.
From Technion-Israel Institute of Technology attempt was made in 2014 to fake a traffic jam by the students in the Waze application.
Main Differences Google Maps and Waze
- Google Maps offers fairly basic customization like to change between languages and accents. In contrast, Waze is more customized as in addition to Spotify integration, it supports a range of audio apps for listening to podcasts and many more. It allows you to have fun with navigation by selecting character and celebrity voice prompts.
- Google Maps provide biking, walking, driving, and public transportation directions. It also has a built-in feature, “Explore” that allows users to see photos, reviews, points of interest, events, etc. On contrary, Waze is pretty much for cars.
- Google Maps and Waze users FCD or Floating Car Data which is obtained from the passenger and driver smartphones to generate updates of real-time traffic to offer the best navigable experience. But Waze does it more efficiently and effectively in comparison to Google Maps.
- When it comes to real-time accuracy, Google Maps app fails to notice immediately about local street closure, car accidents, etc. On the flip side, Waze users can submit information easily related to the local street closure, road hazards, and car accidents.
- In terms of ease of routes, Google Maps offers logical suggested and alternative routes without sacrificing time. It also gives lane assistance to never miss a turn or exit. Conversely, in time crunch Waze can be helpful, but its emphasis on speed that can make route harder and unpleasant to navigate.
It can be concluded that both Google Maps and Waze are two applications with the chief focus on navigation.
Google Maps was introduced in February 2005, while Waze was launched in January 2009.
When it comes to advertising, Google Maps does not offer advertisement while using. In contrast, the advertisement can be seen in Waze which might distract the driver from driving.
Google map is the world’s navigation app of go-to that is more data-based compared to community-based. Meanwhile, Waze is a navigation and traffic community-based app owned by Google.
The interface of Google Maps is a traditional navigation interface. On the other hand, the interface of Waze is a minimal and sleek interface that is offered using the latest in design language.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️