Google accounts have become popular due to the various benefits one can receive from it. All Android devices and the files of the device, including apps, photos, videos, etc., can be synchronized and backed up with a Google account.
Google Drive and Google One are both storage spaces provided by Google. But many are unaware of Google One or the difference between the two. It is necessary to know the difference to know which is the best for us.
- Google Drive is a cloud-based storage service that allows users to store, share, and collaborate on files and documents. In contrast, Google One is a subscription-based service that offers expanded storage, additional benefits, and customer support.
- Google Drive offers 15 GB of free storage for personal use, whereas Google One offers plans starting at 100 GB and going up to 30 TB, with additional benefits like Google Play credits and discounts on hotels and flights.
- Google One also offers family-sharing options, advanced security features, and 24/7 customer support, whereas Google Drive focuses on storage and collaboration.
Google Drive vs Google One
Google Drive is a cloud-based file storage and synchronization service that allows users to store and access files from anywhere with an internet connection. Google One is a paid subscription service that offers additional storage space, premium support, family sharing, and Google Play credits.
Google Drive is the storage space provided by Google. It is free of cost and gives up to 15 GB of storage space for one account across all devices. So this storage can be accessed by any device with an activated Google account.
Google One is a storage space subscription, also provided by Google. It provides storage space within a range of 100GB to 4TB, depending on the chosen plan. The plan is chosen such that it fits the storage necessities.
|Parameters of Comparison
|It is the free storage space given by Google for account holders.
|It is a subscription for storage spaces by Google.
|It provides up to 15 GB of free storage space for Google accounts across all devices.
|According to the chosen plan, the storage space can vary from 100GB to 4TB.
|Since the storage space provided is free, there is no cost.
|The cost can vary per month according to the required storage space and plan.
|An activated Google or Gmail account is the only requirement to access this feature.
|An activated Google account and Google Drive, along with recognized payment methods.
|They have document-sharing and syncing options allowing groups to share the same file. This enables one to add to the shared file across any device with any account.
|One can share the Google One subscription with family, allowing the addition of up to 5 members. But the storage is not equally divided.
What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is the 15GB of free storage provided by Google for all account holders. It allows storage and synchronization of files that exist in the device. Google Drive can be accessed across any device having an activated Google account.
Many devices can also access the Google Drive of one particular account if the account is opened and synchronized in that device. It also encompasses Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides.
Google Drive also allows backup of the files in the device. So even if the device changes, all the files in the previous system/ device will be backed up and synchronized in the new device.
It was first introduced in April 2007 as an app for iOS and Android systems. There are about 1 B active users for Google Drive. This is also available in the form of a website.
What is Google One?
Google One is a subscription plan for increasing storage for a Google account. The 15 GB provided by Google Drive is also a part of Google One. Depending on the storage required, the cost also changes.
The plan starts at 100 MB. The maximum available storage space is 4 TB. One can upgrade their Google Drive storage to Google One storage without erasing their existing files.
Google also enables family sharing. Through this, 5 other family members can share one subscription plan. But the storage is not equally divided among all. So one member may use more storage than the rest.
Google One is recommended to be used by business individuals since they would need more storage. If the storage space is insufficient, one may stop receiving important emails.
Main Difference Between Google Drive and Google One
- Google Drive is the free storage provided by Google for account holders. At the same time, Google One is the subscription deal provided by Google to increase the existing storage space for an account. The extension of storage depends on the purpose.
- The storage space provided by the two is different. Google Drive only provides up to 15 GB of free storage space. But according to the plan the individual has subscribed to in Google One, the accessible storage space changes. The storage space provided ranges from 100 GB to 4 TB.
- Google Drive storage is cost-free as they provide free storage space. One does not need to pay to access the 15 GB provided by Google Drive. On the other hand, Google One storage costs. But the cost can be cut depending on the required storage and subscription plan. The cost ranges differ for different storage spaces.
- Though the basic requirement for Google Drive and Google One is a Google account, Google One has a few more necessities. With an activated Google account, one could already access the storage and other features provided by Google Drive. But in the case of Google One, you would need a Google account, activated Google Drive and a recognized payment method.
- Features provided by Google Drive and Google One are almost similar. But Google Drive also enables one for file sharing. Google One also has various features, like a family-sharing plan. The subscribed Google One account can be shared between families, and adding up to 5 members is allowed. But the storage is not equally divided among all.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.