In the world of antiviruses, these two are the most popular due to their value for money that they offer at a very reasonable price point. AVG and Avast are two names we have heard somewhere or the other.
AVG comes pre-installed in many Windows PCs with the most basic version, providing your PC with the most basic protection.
So, if you’ve been caught in a dilemma to find out which one is better for you, don’t worry. We’ll guide you. After all, securing your PC is one of the most pivotal things nowadays.
Before we proceed with the difference, I want to clarify that even after installing any antiviruses, you need to ensure that it does not restrict certain system functionality by customizing it accordingly.
Also, take little steps to ensure you’re safe online, such as using a virtual keyboard from a mouse, avoiding online payments when using a public WIFI, and so on.
- AVG and Avast are two popular antivirus software that provides similar features for protecting devices against malware and viruses.
- AVG is known for its efficient performance in detecting and removing viruses, while Avast is preferred for its advanced security features and protection against phishing attacks.
- AVG is a more cost-effective option for basic antivirus protection, whereas Avast offers a wider range of features, including VPN, password manager, and webcam protection.
AVG vs Avast
The difference between AVG and Avast is that AVG leans towards customers with a tight budget, but Avast has a slight bent toward those who aren’t afraid to spend an extra penny for something extra.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Price(for the premium versions)
|Comparatively less expensive.
|AVG does the job just fine.
|Avast does the job a little better.
|AVG loses by a few margins.
|User-friendly for those who like simplistic software.
|User-friendly for those who like an extra layer of things in the apps.
|It’s a tie. Both offer the same standard of malware protection.
|AVG has a whopping 200 million user base.
|Avast has a colossal user base surpassing 300 million.
|AVG wins here.
|Avast has a slightly low rating in comparison to AVG.
What is AVG Antivirus?
AVG antivirus is a very popular security software, especially among Windows. AVG has about 200 million users worldwide, a big no. for antivirus.
They have earned this reputation over the past 3 decades of being completely dedicated service to innovation and technology in the arena of internet security.
You get two killer variants from the household name, with one being AVG Internet Security and AVG Ultimate.
As you all would have guessed, AVG Ultimate offers 360 protection that covers everything your PC might need protection against.
Whereas AVG Internet security covers the bare minimum, which includes protection against various viruses and a little more that is required to keep your PC up and to run.
It’s a unique selling proposition(USP) that seems to be offering security at an affordable price range.
What is Avast Antivirus?
AVG’s most formidable rival has been in the game for nearly a decade less than AVG, which accounts for up to two decades. It has won the hearts of approximately 450 million active users.
Avast antivirus has dominated the game ever since it landed in the market, securing the 2nd position in the Anti-malware community.
It’s truly a game-changer in its field. Milestones after milestones, Avast knows no bounds. Just keeps on moving forward.
Avast offers two versions, namely: Avast Premier and Avast Ultimate. As the name suggests, Avast has put itself forward as a more premium brand willing to offer you the best among the best.
Its USP seems to be an upper-tier service provider in the business.
- It supports a total of 45 languages.
- The chess community icon Gary Kasparov is the security brand’s spokesperson.
Main Differences Between AVG and Avast
- AVG has a more loyal user base than Avast. It’s like Coca-cola and Pepsi in the USA. Those who drink Coke prefer Coke over Pepsi and vice-versa.
- Although Avast’s user base fluctuated over time, Avast is growing more rapidly than AVG.
- Avast focuses on more users looking for a higher-end antivirus service rather than affordable ones. AVG, on the other hand, focuses primarily on customers looking for security for their PC that doesn’t take a heavy toll on their pocket.
- Even though, Avast has been in the game for a lesser time than AVG. Still, its user base has exploded almost twice that of AVG.
- It is said that AVG’s annual revenue is around 150 million US dollars approximately. Avast’s speculated revenue is around 90 million US dollars annually.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.