Choosing a healthy lifestyle nowadays is a challenging task to accomplish. We all know how hard it is to stop different-different kinds of cravings for different savouries like desserts, spicy foods, fast food, etc.
So many people prefer to eat healthy and light in the morning. And hence there comes the question of what to eat in the morning, which is light but healthy to keep you pumped up the whole day and is also high in nutrients.
Hence, most of the answer suggests Overnight Oats or Porridge in the morning. But now another question that comes to mind is, are both the same? But they are not the same.
Yes, they both are made of whole grains, flakes, water, and milk, but they are not the same. They are both the tastiest option in the morning with fresh fruits.
- Overnight oats are soaked in liquid (milk, yogurt, etc.) overnight, and require no cooking, while the porridge is cooked in boiling liquid.
- Overnight oats are typically eaten cold, whereas porridge is usually eaten hot and can be made with grains like oats, rice, and cornmeal.
- Overnight oats can be prepared with various toppings and flavors, while the porridge is often served with sweeteners like honey, sugar, or syrup and can be flavored with fruits, nuts, and spices.
Overnight Oats vs Porridge
Overnight oats is made by soaking rolled oats in water or milk overnight. It is a highly nutritious breakfast, rich in fibre and low in calories. It is served cold. Porridge is made from legumes and grain that is served hot. It is cooked instantly and served with honey, fruit or syrup.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Overnight Oats are easy to make and save time in the morning. Overnight Oats can be served with fruits as garnishing, which is a tasty as well as healthy option to start a day.
On the other hand, Porridge is a hot served cereal that comprises legumes, vegetables, some spices, and oat flakes if preferred.
Porridge is made from so many ingredients that oat flakes are not compulsory; you can have porridge with and without oat flakes.
|Parameters of Comparison||Overnight Oats||Porridge|
|Night Procedure||Overnight Oats are made by soaking oat flakes Overnight.||Porridge is cooked instantly in the morning.|
|Pattern of Serving||Overnight Oats are preferred but can be done as cold too.||Porridge is mainly served hot.|
|Ingredients||Overnight Oats are made of oat flakes, milk, and water and garnished with fruits.||Porridge is made of many more ingredients like legumes, whole grains, etc., with Oats flakes to make it healthy.|
|Main ingredient||The main ingredient of Overnight Oats is oat flakes.||The main ingredient of Porridge is primarily vegetables and whole grains.|
What are Overnight Oats?
Overnight Oats are the most preferred item in the morning because it makes half of your dish Overnight. For Overnight Oats, oat flakes are soaked Overnight, then you can serve it cold in the morning, and your breakfast is ready to have.
Overnight Oats doesn’t have a perfect rulebook or recipe to follow. It is straightforward to make, and even if you forgot to turn your cooker on for Porridge, don’t worry because now the cold Porridge is nothing but cold Oats to eat.
Overnight Oats are very flexible to serve. You can help them with fruits, berries, yoghurt, and whatever you prefer to have in the morning for your survival for the whole day. O
Overnight Oats make you tension-free from the problem and confusion of making breakfast fast, light-weighted, full of nutrients, and tasty as in one dish to serve and have.
What is Porridge?
Porridge is a dish cooked hot out of the ingredients: vegetables, whole grains, legumes, little spices, and Oats if preferred. In simpler words, Porridge can be called oatmeal if made with Oats.
Porridge can be made without Oats too. But Porridge is made when you want something warm and fresh to be cooked and served.
Garnishing is mostly not used in Porridge, but it is optional. One bowl of Porridge can make you complete and ready for the long journey of surviving chaos throughout the day.
Main Differences Between Overnight Oats and Porridge
- Overnight Oats are served by soaking them. Overnight, Porridge is not made out of soaking.
- Overnight Oats are served cold; Porridge is served hot.
- Garnishing is done on Overnight Oats with different fruits, whereas garnishing on Porridge is not necessary but is kept optional.
- Oats are ready in the morning, [Porridge needs to be cooked in the morning].
- Oats flakes are the essential ingredient of Overnight Oats, whereas Oats can be replaced by vegetables and legumes for making Porridge as per preferences.
- Overnight Oats are easier for people who don’t have time in the morning, whereas Porridge takes time to be ready to serve and have.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.