Shopping for the perfect pair of jeans is always a big hassle that never ends. People always are confused with the different types of jeans- Skinny jeans or Slim jeans always seem to be the root of all confusion.
But no one knows what these two mean and how much they vary. Individual brands have individual sizes and their definition of skinny jeans or slim jeans.
Different brands might have different sizes for their skinny jeans or slim jeans. However, if you consider a single brand, you can differentiate between the skinny and the slim-fit jeans of the brand.
- Skinny jeans are form-fitting jeans that taper from the hip to the ankle, while slim jeans are narrower than regular jeans but not as tight as skinny jeans.
- Skinny jeans have a tighter fit around the ankle, while slim jeans have a straighter cut towards the bottom.
- Skinny jeans are popular among younger generations, while slim jeans are more versatile and can be worn by people of all ages.
Skinny Jeans vs Slim Jeans
The difference between skinny jeans and slim jeans lies in their size. When worn, you will feel that skinny jeans are narrow. The jeans will cling to you and give you shape. On the other hand, slim jeans are comparatively wider and will not cling to you as much as skinny jeans.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Skinny Jeans are extremely tight on your body.
|Slim jeans may be tight, but they are nothing compared to skinny jeans.
|Skinny jeans are extremely stylish right now.
|Slim Jeans were in style a couple of years back, but it is not as much in demand as skinny jeans.
|Place of wearing
|Skinny Jeans are meant for parties and outings.
|Slim jeans are now worn to many formal places
|You cannot move your legs as much as you want in skinny jeans.
|Though there is a little restriction, you can still move your legs.
|With skinny jeans, you can wear loose-fitted tops or shirts.
|With slim jeans, people pair tight-fitted tops or shirts.
What are Skinny Jeans?
Slim jeans have been in fashion for a long period. Skinny jeans originated from slim jeans in the 1970s when the rockstars of that age started o wear these tight jeans.
It did not take long before normal people took up this trend and started wearing them.
It did run out of style one day. But decades later, Avril Lavigne brought them back to fashion again, and now our new generation cannot stop wearing these skinny jeans!
The skinny jeans help in sculpting your hips and legs. Your body looks thinner than it is as the jeans hug your body. Your legs look longer.
For these very reasons, skinny jeans are much loved by people. A common study shows that people find skinny jeans attractive to other people too.
But skinny jeans might sometimes be a little too tight and do not allow free movement according to your will. It might get tough for you if you wear skinny jeans while playing or doing any other activity requiring running.
Since it is in high demand, people complain about finding that perfect pair of skinny jeans.
What are Slim Jeans?
Slim jeans were originally influenced by the ‘churidars’ that the Mughal emperors wore. It is said that these were quite tight compared to the loosely fitted pants of British men.
After that many alterations, experiments, and changes- slim jeans finally came into being.
Skinny jeans originated from these slim jeans, but slim jeans are not as narrow-fitted as skinny jeans. You can buy many types of slim jeans according to your liking.
They might be tight, but they do allow free movement. You can completely wear slim jeans for any activity. You can run in them too.
These pants have become more formal, and people wear them to their offices too.
Main Differences Between Skinny Jeans and Slim Jeans
- Skinny jeans hug your legs. For this reason, it gives you the shape of the legs you want and deserve. They help sculpt your body and make it look thinner than it is! On the other hand, slim jeans might be tight, but they do not hold onto your body. For this reason, they do not provide shape correction as much as skinny jeans do.
- Skinny jeans do not let you move freely. As they hang onto your body, you cannot move your legs or the down part of your body, for that matter, freely. On the other hand, if you want to walk around and move with ease and at the same time wear something that makes you look good- slim jeans are always the ideal option.
- If you are planning for a fun outing that requires activity on your part, you should steer clear of skinny jeans. On the other hand, wearing slim jeans will let you participate freely in all games and activities.
- Skinny jeans are just themselves and have no other types under them. But slim jeans have four divisions under them. The four types are Athletic, Taper, Straight, and Boot-cut.
- Skinny jeans being narrower than any other jeans, can be stretched too. But slim jeans cannot always be stretched as much as skinny jeans.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.