The Nintendo DS model weighs around 275g, while the new and improved DS Lite was created as a lighter descendant to this revolutionary gaming console. The DS Lite version features a sleeker and more compact body and weighs approximately 218g. This model embodies significant design improvements over its precursor. Moreover, the design changes have also equipped the DS Lite model with a brighter screen than the Nintendo DS console.
Nintendo DS vs DS Lite
The difference between the Nintendo DS and DS Lite models is that the former model is bulkier and heavier than the latter one. Nintendo DS was the original model launched under the DS range. It was considerably larger than the succeeding DS Lite version.
Comparison Table Between Nintendo DS and DS Lite
|Parameters of Comparison||Nintendo DS||Nintendo DS Lite|
|Design||Nintendo DS features a heavy and bulkier built.||The DS Lite model sports a sleeker, lighter, and much more compact design.|
|Durability of Battery Life||The Nintendo DS version offers a compromised battery life of only 10 hours.||The Nintendo DS Lite model offers superior battery backup that lasts up to 19 hours.|
|Weight||This model weighs approximately 275g.||The DS Lite model is lighter at approximately 218g.|
|Release Date||The Nintendo DS model was released in 2005.||The Nintendo DS Lite model was released in 2006.|
|Battery Strength||This model is equipped with an 850 mAh battery.||This model is equipped with a powerful 1000 mAh battery.|
|Brightness Adjustment||The screen brightness cannot be adjusted.||The Nintendo DS Lite model allows the users to adjust the brightness of the screen according to their individual preferences.|
|Changes in Key Placements||The start and select keys are larger and the mic is placed at the bottom of the console.||Start and select keys have been made smaller and the mic has been shifted to the hinge of the console.|
What is Nintendo DS?
The Nintendo DS range was inaugurated with the original DS model in the year 2005. This revolutionary gaming console is equipped with a 3-inch LCD screen and a powerful 850 mAh rechargeable battery. This model was designed to be compatible with the Game Boy Advanced software as well as the then-novel Nintendo DS software.
The DS console is placed among the heavier and bulkier range of gaming consoles. It weighs approximately 275g and lacks much of the design sophistications we see in the newer models. The battery backup offered by the console is also quite poor. With 10 hours of uninterrupted gaming, this model falls short by a significant limit when compared to the battery life of its successor.
Moreover, the 4-hour recharging time is also slightly longer than the other models in this range. The console has an AC adapter connection point, DS card slot, Game Boy Advanced slot, and a stereo connection point. Overall, this model helped initiate a line of advanced consoles that came to be subsequently launched by Nintendo.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||New Nintendo 2DS XL - Black + Turquoise With Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed - Nintendo 2DS||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Nintendo DS Lite?
The Nintendo DS Lite model was the successor of the original DS variant. It was launched and marketed by the formidable gaming brand in the year 2006 as a new and improved DS model. This Lite version features a sleeker, slender design that appeals to gamers. The Nintendo DS Lite version was also created to be compatible with the Game Boy Advanced software as well as the Nintendo DS software.
The Lite model remains true to its nomenclature and is evidently lighter than its predecessor. At around 218g, this console is easier to use and control. Moreover, the advancements in the design elements are also mirrored in the extended battery life of the DS Lite version.
The 1000 mAh battery of the Lite model offers an augmented battery life durability extending to almost 19 hours. This is a drastic improvement over the poor battery performance of its predecessor. Moreover, the recharging time duration is also reduced to 3 hours.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Nintendo DS Lite Cobalt / Black (Renewed)||Check Price on Amazon|
Main Differences Between Nintendo DS and DS Lite
- The main difference between the Nintendo DS and DS Lite console is in terms of the design components peculiar to each. The DS Lite version is also much lighter and compact than the DS model. The sleeker design of the DS Lite model sets it apart from its predecessor.
- The DS model weighs much more than the DS Lite variant. The former weighs around 275g, while the latter weighs approximately 218g.
- The Nintendo DS Lite model has a more durable battery life than the Nintendo DS model. The rechargeable battery of the improved model lasts for almost 19 hours as compared to the 10 hours of battery life offered by the DS model.
- The Nintendo DS model was released in 2005, while the new and improved DS Lite model was released by Nintendo in 2006.
- The DS Lite model is equipped with a much more powerful battery than the DS model. The DS Lite model features a 1000 mAh battery, while the DS model is equipped with an 850 mAh battery.
- The DS Lite version also features a much brighter screen than its precursor. The brightness of a DS Lite console can be adjusted by the gamer, however, this feature is absent from the Nintendo DS interface.
- Several design components have been altered in the DS Lite model that makes it easier to use. The start and select keys have been reduced, the mic has been moved to the hinged from the bottom of the device.
Nintendo is a renowned brand in the gaming console market. It has always lived up to that reputation. All models manufactured and marketed by the brand are testaments in quality assurance. The Nintendo DS and DS Lite are no different.
Both these gaming consoles were developed to be compatible with the Game Boy Advanced software. Each of the gaming consoles have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. However, a comparative analysis between the two reveals some quite conspicuous differences.
The Nintendo DS model remains a worthy precursor to the new and improved DS Lite variant. Not only is the new model sleeker and lighter than the original DS model, but it also features some distinctive advantages over the older version. The longer battery life is an added benefit of the Lite variant. Thus, in a head-to-head competition, the DS Lite model will undoubtedly emerge victorious.
However, there are various other gaming consoles available in the market today and one must assess each thoroughly before making a definitive decision.
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Amazon Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents